Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Labrador and public lands

d-bone20917

I know everyone in Idaho is aware of Labrador's stance on public lands, but this is from a rally last night and was posted in today's Post Register.

By BRYAN CLARK
[email protected]
Rep. Raúl Labrador, who is seeking the Republican gubernatorial nomination, held a brief town hall-style campaign rally Thursday night at Ammon Elementary School.

Labrador fielded about a dozen questions from the 75 or so people in attendance. The questions were submitted on note cards and read by his campaign staff — a process one man in attendance objected could be used to limit the questions that were read. Unlike some recent town halls where members of congress faced overwhelmingly hostile crowds, Thursday’s audience was largely friendly to Labrador, with many wearing campaign stickers.

Labrador cast himself as a politician who keeps campaign promises, fights against his own party when it conflicts with his beliefs and as the most ideologically conservative man on the GOP ticket.

“When I tell you something that I’m going to do, I’m going to do it,” Labrador said.

Labrador said he isn’t irked by criticisms levelled by his opponents that he hasn’t passed enough legislation during his four Congressional terms.

“I don’t think the most important role of a legislator is to pass legislation,” he said. “I think the most important role of a legislator is to kill bad legislation.”

He said he had worked, along with members of the Freedom Caucus, to block the “Obama-Pelosi agenda” with some success.

He also reiterated his support for cutting state sales taxes, corporate income taxes and personal income taxes to a flat 5 percent. The plan is based on one implemented decades ago in Utah, he said, but he added that he wouldn’t support creating tax incentives to pull businesses in as the Beehive State has.

Labrador said he would support transferring management of federal lands in Idaho to the state. He argued state lands are better managed than federal ones, and that such a management change would open public lands to more natural resource extraction such as logging and mining.

“They should be our natural resources,” he said. “We should have an opportunity to use them.”

Labrador promised he would work to get rid of Common Core-based state education standards, cut taxes and increase price transparency in the health care market.

Labrador also said he supports making alterations to the 1995 Settlement Agreement to ensure that Idaho National Laboratory can bring in research quantities of spent fuel.

For what it is worth...Tommy has taken the same stance when I asked the PL question.

Not sure where Little stands.

The state of Idaho doesn't have the money to manage the land they have. Same story as anywhere else land transfers are pushed. One wildland fire could destroy a state's budget.

Labrador said he would support transferring management of federal lands in Idaho to the state. He argued state lands are better managed than federal ones, and that such a management change would open public lands to more natural resource extraction such as logging and mining.

They should be our natural resources,” he said. “We should have an opportunity to use them.”

This quote does not surprise me in the least. Labrador is only concerned with reducing the federal deficit (as we all should be), but does not see the value of wild places for anything other than a source of revenue through timber, mining and oil. The closest his family has been to an outdoor experience together is when they took a picture together in their backyard for his most recent campaign ad.

Do you have a better candidate

A.J. Balukoff (Dem.) and Brad Little (Rep.) both attended part of the BHA Rendevous according to the Idaho Statesman's article. I know there is more than one issue, but with regards to public lands here are two options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back