Good Options for Muzzleloader Hunt

Four22

A buddy and I were talking last night about doing a western hunt with muzzleloader. What state/species is a good place to start?? We were thinking muzzleloader only seasons to limit the hunting pressure but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

There's a lot of cow elk muzzleloader tags you can draw with 0 points. A lot of bull tags take a point or two. But remember, muzzleloader elk season in CO overlaps archery. Antelope muzzleloader tags are pretty easy to get with a point or two, and many units have doe tags as leftovers. Montana and Wyoming don't have a muzzleloader specific season.

Fantastic news as CO is on the list of states to hunt! I'd love to bull elk hunt with a muzzleloader for sure. Now to figure out where to go... I've never been to colorado!

I believe CO doesnt allow scoped muzzleloaders. I know Utah does, which is where I applied this year for the first time, maybe I can draw that tag in the next decade. lol.

AZ also has muzzleloader season, the cow tags will be alot easier to get than a bull tag.

any suggestions of areas of the state to investigate for hunting? I'm not asking for unit or location, just NW, SW,NE or SE?

Read the regs on muzzleloaders..there's some goofy regulations for them

A lot of states do.

Utah used to have the goofy 1x mag rule.

Colorado does allow sabots.

Idaho does not allow ML's without an exposed breach (basically all inlines, before the NW model of inline)

NM is a good option for muzzleloader hunts. Most o the big game species I've taken there have been with a muzzleloader.

the Utah general muzz season has been very good for me,,,$268 for a non res tag is one of the most affordable out there ,,have drawn every year,,,have harvested 6-0 now,,not monsters but a fun hunt,,have hunted various areas

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back