MT archery elk- Grizzly areas to avoid

nontyp

Im planning to hunt SW Montana during archery season this year. I know grizzlies are in that area, but what areas are the worst for problem bears? Where do they relocate problem bears? I don’t mind hunting in bear country, but i don’t want to be a snack for some old boar.

If there's one place to avoid if you don't want to see many bears its probably Tom Miner basin in the Paradise Valley.

The closer to the park the more likely you'll see a griz - generally. If by SW Montana you're southwest of Dillon or in the Big Hole, I wouldn't be overly concerned. If you're near Gardiner, or in any of the Mountains bordering Hebgen Lake, including the Madison Range, you are in griz country. I don't think there is any specific areas that they frequently relocate griz to.

Definatly avoid cabin creek/north of kirkwood ridge. Tom miner, sphinx creek, yankee jim, the madison valley.. have had encounters in them all. Have a plan and prepare yourself for encounters and the trip will be Awesome! Take a karate class :hump:

^^^And please change the thread name to: “where to find mature bulls”... IMO its the best place to find good bulls is in grizz country. No one wants to go there. Haha

Definatly avoid cabin creek/north of kirkwood ridge. Tom miner, sphinx creek, yankee jim, the madison valley.. have had encounters in them all. Have a plan and prepare yourself for encounters and the trip will be Awesome! Take a karate class :hump:

Damn you've personally had encounters at all those places? Ever had to use deterrent?

I've come to believe they are all over the damn place at this point....

https://www.greatfallstribune.com/s...oteau-prairie-rocky-mountain-front/524594002/

Never had to use spray, ect... ive had it out and ready plenty. It would be great to see a grizz hunting season open up.

Cabin creek was knarly, one early morning we had a big bore right outside our tent. We slipped by him and went about our hunting. Later that afternoon we met some older guys who had cow called a grizz into 10 yards... while panicking one of the gentlemen had ripped on his spray walking backwards and tripped on some downfall. Spraying himself in the crotch.. haha he was covered in orange/red spray. His eyes were still watering.

A couple years ago, if i recall a forest service employee told me they relocated prob bears to cabin creek area.... ? Maybe some else can chime in and confirm?

Yep pretty much be prepared no matter where you go nowadays. On opening day of rifle season las t year I had an entire area all to myself in region 2, couldn’t believe it, BUT the reason why is there is a profound amount of Grizz sign in the area ��. Just gotta hunt smart, it has made me hunt really slow and I’ve seen more elk that way in the timber

South end gravelly range. West fork Madison, coal and divide cr area. Couple incidents reported and several that were not.

Just what was stated above. Some of the best Elk country is the same as Grizz country. Be as prepared as you can and then don't worry too much about it. Just hunt.

You will pretty much want to avoid Paradise valley, the Gallatin Valley, and the Madison Valley and west including the Gravellys and Snowcrests.

There were 2 confirmed Griz presences in the Big Hole last year. It was on the north end. I would not be surprised to see them any where in the area. Frankly, at this point, I would not be surprised to see a Griz anywhere in Western MT.

Never had to use spray, ect... ive had it out and ready plenty. It would be great to see a grizz hunting season open up.

Cabin creek was knarly, one early morning we had a big bore right outside our tent. We slipped by him and went about our hunting. Later that afternoon we met some older guys who had cow called a grizz into 10 yards... while panicking one of the gentlemen had ripped on his spray walking backwards and tripped on some downfall. Spraying himself in the crotch.. haha he was covered in orange/red spray. His eyes were still watering.

A couple years ago, if i recall a forest service employee told me they relocated prob bears to cabin creek area.... ? Maybe some else can chime in and confirm?

That's interesting. I have not heard that. Seems awfully close to tourists to relocate bears, but there is no doubt they are thick in there.

There were 2 confirmed Griz presences in the Big Hole last year. It was on the north end. I would not be surprised to see them any where in the area. Frankly, at this point, I would not be surprised to see a Griz anywhere in Western MT.

This ^.....I consider all of SW MT likely grizzly habitat now. They have been seen in all the Mnts around here

I had heard Cabinet Mountains at one time, but I don't recall where I heard it, so I'm not willing to stand behind it. But definitely HUD 350. Yup. Hip deep in big ferocious grizzlies. Rattlesnakes too. Tell all your friends.

I've heard the sugarloaf mountain area south of Big Twig used to be a dump zone for problem Griz. Not sure if this is factual or not, but I know they are in there.

We archery hunted the Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest. It snowed on us most of the trip (Mid September) so we had a pretty fresh pallet every day to find new sign.

Never actually saw griz but cut tracks a couple of times. Once was within a couple hundred yards of camp. We did our best to maintain a clean camp and keep any scents to a minimum.

Being from TX, grizzlies were my biggest concern. However, after surviving a week in Griz country I would not hesitate to go back. In fact, I am looking forward to it!

FWIW we did see lots of elk! So maybe Tjd is on to something!

Back