Buck vs Doe/fawn hunt for a first hunt

Funhunter

I have never hunted antelope before and I am looking at doing a nonresident antelope hunt in 2019. The tags are significantly cheaper for a doe/fawn hunt which is one of the reasons that I am looking into it. Is it worth it to just buy a buck tag and go or is it better to go with a doe/fawn tag for a first hunt to figure it out. My biggest concern is the liklihood for success. Would you buy a Doe/Fawn tag or just spend the extra money for a Buck tag?

I'd say popping your western hunt cherry with doe tags is the way to go. Not only are the tags cheaper, but you can get multiple tags in Wyoming. Go get some meat and learn an area to see if you want to possibly do a buck tag there in the future. I think getting a buck tag right off the bat sets yourself up for unrealistic expectations and could lead to disappointment. Get doe tags in an area you might want to buck hunt in the future. Check out the herd and the quality of bucks and see if you want to drop the big coin on the buck tag in the future. Get a point this year and that opens up some decent units for next year.

What ever you feel like you want to spend your money one. In my opinion you will have a better chance for success if you have a doe tag but how much would it kill you if you had an opportunity at a buck. Some people say that antelope are the easiest big game to harvest out west, I disagree with that but your chances of success are fairly good if you just put the time in and hunt hard.

I would say it's a little bit easier to fill a doe tag than a buck tag, but not that big of difference because usually it ends up being one or two bucks with a group of does, not always, but usually. Sometimes there are small groups of does with no bucks, sometimes there are small groups of bucks with no does, and sometimes a single doe or buck. But usually it's one or two bucks with a group of does. So usually it's about just as easy to get a buck as it is to get a doe I think. The biggest determining factor on how hard it is to fill that buck tag is if you're after something better than average or not. If you would be happy with an average buck and you're going to a unit with decent access I would definitely go the buck route, maybe even pick up an extra doe tag if you want some more delicious meat. If you'd only be happy with a better than average buck or you are going to a unit with not the greatest access the doe route could be a better option to learn the unit and see what it has for bucks. There are pretty good bucks in about every unit in Wyoming, as long as access is ok you should be able to find a pretty good buck if you look long enough, but if access isn't that great you can drive by nice bucks all day long on private and they'll just smile and wave at you.

Why are you waiting till 2019. There is still time to apply for 2018 and a doe Tag is cheap. It is probably the least expensive hunt you can do.

Why are you waiting till 2019. There is still time to apply for 2018 and a doe Tag is cheap. It is probably the least expensive hunt you can do.

Yep! Get a doe tag (or 2 or 4) this year and go do it. You'll figure out real quick if you like pronghorn hunting or not (I bet you do), and maybe figure out some areas for a buck hunt in '19 or beyond.

I did doe/fawn for my first time for the exact reasons you described. Having absolutely no idea what I was doing and having never been within 700 miles of the unit, I felt more comfortable spending $40 vs $380 (or whatever it is now). We went out and had a great time, learned the unit and what hunting in Wyoming was like. I'd highly recommend going this route.

Any PP ? If not go with the doe tags. Just make sure you know the difference between young bucks and doe, look for lack of a cheek patch.
Coming up from Lubbock which part of the state do you want to see, plenty of great areas for doe tags in Southern Wyo and if tourist sights are on the menu too head up farther north to get in some sights near Yellowstone or Cody.
I would also pick an are with good numbers of tags. You'll probably have time to fish and maybe get in some sage grouse hunting in the right areas. 2 tags this year will put some meat in the freezer and get you some knowledge of an area possibly for a buck hunt.
Don't expect a ton of meat off of a doe though, a large cooler will hold 2 doe antelope.

I'm a huge proponent of the WY doe/fawn hunt. Being a CO resident, there is not a lot of opportunity to hunt antelope in state, but just across the border opportunity abounds and it's a great way to put a little meat in the freezer. I plan on applying for 2 tags this year and keep building points for a buck hunt at some point down the road. My suggestion is to go the doe/fawn route. It'll get you some very good experience without the added cost of a buck tag. The seasons are also usually pretty long so you can plan around work, family, etc. accordingly. I like to go in September when the weather is usually nice. Great way to kick off hunting season!

My answer really depends on whether or not this is a once in a lifetime hunt. If so, buy the buck tag, plan on scouting/hunting a few extra days, and do some homework ahead of time so you know the potential of the area. You can find respectable bucks in most of the areas that draw without a PP if you are patient and know your way around. One of my great fears is that I'll stumble across a buck of a lifetime while all I have is a pocket full of doe tags. If this is going to be a hunt to learn the ropes and plan for future hunts, load up with doe tags and get after it.

Lots of good advice already but I'd say it's mostly up to what you want, and if you want to shoot a buck. I see no reason to wait if you truly have the desire to shoot an antelope buck. Especially since you're planning this for 2019. Buy a point this year and you'll have 1 point for the draw in 2019. Its better than no points and will give you more options for a buck tag. I'd plan on one buck tag and one doe tag. Unless you really don't care about ever shooting a buck, then you might as well just save your money and get a couple of doe tags. Being successful at killing a buck won't be an issue, unless you end up in a unit with no public land to hunt. But without enough research that just won't happen.

Get a doe/fawn tag and a buck tag if you can. Antelope are a great animal that are a lot of fun to hunt. The meat is also fantastic and they aren't very big so you will be glad if you get to shoot two or three even.

Lots of good advice already but I'd say it's mostly up to what you want, and if you want to shoot a buck. I see no reason to wait if you truly have the desire to shoot an antelope buck. Especially since you're planning this for 2019. Buy a point this year and you'll have 1 point for the draw in 2019. Its better than no points and will give you more options for a buck tag. I'd plan on one buck tag and one doe tag. Unless you really don't care about ever shooting a buck, then you might as well just save your money and get a couple of doe tags. Being successful at killing a buck won't be an issue, unless you end up in a unit with no public land to hunt. But without enough research that just won't happen.

Is there a way to just buy a point? I have looked around the wyoming website and can't tell. I may not be looking in the right place though.

Points can't be purchased until after the draw but are available into the fall. One big advantage of the doe tag is it opens up a lot of units to potentially draw where you would have slim chances at a buck tag with no points. Having a unit with ample public land makes for a much more enjoyable hunt.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back