CO/NM turkey hunters

phutch30

Hey guys, I'm working on a native range grand slam and Im down to my last one. I need a native Merriams to complete it. Would anyone be willing to provide some info for CO or NM via PM.

I'm not looking to steal anyone's spots, I have access to Merriam's up the wazoo here in MT, but they are introduced. This is a one and done hunt.

I don't need an x on a map just some areas to look into.

How long does it take to draw a good Merriams tag in CO?

New Mexico is over the counter too. Not sure what it is for out of state, but in state it $25. Buddy of mine just got a monster out by Navajo Dam (on the Colorado Border). However, most people I know tend to hunt merriams in the Jemez which is closer to home for me. If your goal is merriams, stay away from the low land hunting areas as lots of places are reintroducing the Rio Grande subspecies. I manage Coronado Historic Site and the Natives have of Santa Ana have reintroduced the bird to the golf course. They are all but domesticated and come on to our state property all the time.... there are about 40 of them or more... oh and before anyone gets any ideas... New Mexico Historic Sites are not open for hunting so leave your guns at home.

There are quite a few spots in Colo where there are rio-merriam hybrids. If you hunt the river bottoms east of I25 you are likely hunting rios or rio-merriam hybrids. I drew an area in the mtns of Colo last year where I thought they were all pure merriams. The tom I got had cream colored tail feathers. Not sure if it was a mix or just a merriam w/cream tail feathers.

Back