Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Cheap tablet to run OnX on?

Yellowstoner

Hi all,

I'm looking for whatever is the least expensive OnX capable tablet is. I'd like to hook up a rig in my truck so it shows OnX as I drive around. I'm sure some of you have this rig already and antelope hunting this past season made me really want one - mostly for all of my friends that don't have OnX on their own damn phones and are constantly craning their necks to see mine. I guess the two main features it needs to have are GPS and a slot for an SD card to expand the memory (more maps!).

Many cheap tablets lack the necessary GPS chip. One sure way to know you get GPS hardware is to buy one that is capable of connecting to the cellular network as that requires GPS capability (but these are more expensive). There are a few non-cellular enabled tablets out there that have GPS chip, but not many. I use an old iPad air that was at&t enabled (but no need to actually have cellular plan for basic mapping).

I'm not sure what you consider cheap, but a used Nexus 7 would work(no sd slot, but get a 32 GB version). You could get a Samsung new for about 200 bucks.

Last edited:
You could also get an older model or refurbished Ipad and an In-reach for ~$650, you can use bluetooth to allow onx to use the garmin's GPS...

I find the GPS on my phone can be very hit or miss in the the hills.

Back