Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bucket List Game Poll

Which NA Big Game would be your last?

• Total voters

406LIFE

Drawing...not drawing has got me thinking about #1 North American Bucket List Animal (No T. Rex, Africa, or Sasquatch). I'm sure I won't draw my MT Bighorn Tag, but if I had one more day of hunting it would be...

Kodiak Brown Bears with my bow. I can't imagine the adrenaline being that close to something that big. The challenge of something that can eat you or send you into orbit with a swipe is alluring.

What's your species/weapon/why?

I selected brown bear, but really any of the top three would be dream hunts. A goat is the most realistic as it’s the cheapest!

The list begins and ends with bighorn sheep for me. I would want to hunt them with my rifle for the best odds at filling my tag. Don't really care where, but my preference would be in the mountains that I can see from my house.

Brown bear... Though a prime paddled moose or beautiful dall sheep would be #1 as well.

Oh, just saw... Weapon choice as well.

Hawken .52 caliber percussion... Say, year 1840. To hold such an amazing American Jacob and Samuel crafted beauty... That may be my bucket dream hunt regardless the big game of choice.

Last edited:
Dall sheep with a rifle, goat would be a close 2nd. Elk with a bow would be right up there as well.

Desert Bighorn because I actually put in for it in CA & AZ. For me, bucket list' are things that are possible if I get lucky in the draw or plan towards. Brown Bear and Dall Sheep are impossible because they are out of reach financially, unless I moved to AK and became a resident.

I’m with 406. If I had only one hunt left in me I would be headed to Kodak Island to chase Browns with my bow. As it is, it’ll be a long while until I get the opportunity to chase them and I’m ok with that!

My dream hunt that I can reasonably expect to do someday is alaskan caribou. I would love to witness that migration.
Probably prefer to go with the bow, but rifle wouldn't hurt my feelings

Brown bear with a bow would certainly get the blood going. But for me harvesting a Bighorn Ram with a bow at treeline would take the cake.

I was going to put oryx,but it is not NA native game.
You know at one time many of those would be on list,bighorns in particular as I have been around them .
But these days if I could hunt elk in the Gila I would be real happy. I am always happy hunting elk it seems.

I agree that sheep are incredible. It's interesting the power they have in terms of a hunter's desire, which is so far evident in this poll.

406Life framed it as the question, "If you have one more day of hunting", and I chose Mule Deer - and I had in mind the chunks of ground I grew up hunting. I feel like I'd be hunting a place more than a critter on my last day of hunting, and one without the other may change my answer.

Dream hunt: bighorn sheep. But if I had one more day to hunt I'd be heading back home to bow hunt whitetails in Northern Michigan with my family and friends in camp.

406Life framed it as the question, "If you have one more day of hunting", and I chose Mule Deer - and I had in mind the chunks of ground I grew up hunting. I feel like I'd be hunting a place more than a critter on my last day of hunting, and one without the other may change my answer.

That's exactly where my mind went also. Only a couple hours west with whitetail.

Most of my family has killed their first deer on the same mountain in western Montana. The hunting's not that great anymore, but the memories are still there. A sleepy November day walking around ending with an unpunched tag sounds perfect.

I'm a simple person with simple bucket lists I guess. I chose Elk because it's really attainable should I ever have the money. I hunt alone and refuse to hunt elk alone even with a rifle...so I either need more money to do an outfit hunt or find someone to take me with them to their secret spot.

Dall sheep for me. Everything else on the list (other than brown bear) I can realistically go chase after in my lifetime and fully plan on doing so. Dall sheep/grizz are the two that are crazy cost. If I could only choose one I'd choose sheep. If I shoot a sheep I would probably never go again, plenty of other critters to chase for less monies.

Rifle hunt, Alaska. Would love to share the moment with a son or someone I care about, I have no kids so looks like this hunt is 20 years in the future ha.

Last edited:
I want to hunt Moose during archery season, I feel as if this can/will happen much easier than any sheep hunt. Therefore I put sheep down as the final hunt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back