Long time listener, first time caller..... ;)

SFC B

I will be headed out tomorrow for NW Nebraska and my first turkey hunt. I don't know that I really "need" another form of hunting to extract attention from me but I have excited to see what it is all about. seems like the weather isn't the greatest but we will give it a shot and see what happens. Think good thoughts!!!

Welp, I am back from NE with no bird. We ended up hunting Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. The first 2 days were horrible weather. temps form 30 to 45 with rain and snow off and on. Saw zero birds (except for a couple that live in a guys yard in town) and heard nothing. Sunday started chilly but cleared and warmed up. Finally got some birds talking back. We were able to get a flock with at lest 2 toms we could see into 67 yds. That was it. They stalled there for about 20 minutes then simply walked off. There some brush between us that they simply would not go through or around. It was a fun time but I have to say that I don't think it is gonna be my thing. Had fun but seemingly a lot of effort for an animal that doesn't stir me and has only a bit of meat. Now, that being said, waterfowl is a whole different story when it comes to that area on the Platte. Sweet Mother there were still TONS of ducks (especially woodies) and geese around on the river and in the sloughs and ponds. Could have taken several limits simply by walking up and jumping them. I would love to get a shot come next season. In addition there was wildlife of every description: squirrels, rabbits, muleys, WTs, hawks, several owls, a couple of breeding pairs of bald eagles and ......wait for it.......a flock of snow white pelicans!!!! WTF? I have to take several looks to get that one. Apparently there is a big lake nearby that they frequent. Just never know what you'll see in the woods :)

Don't give up on the turkey's! Other than elk they are my favorite critter to chase. They are a weird creature though. Some days they will run to the gun barrel others no matter what you try they just won't do it. Good luck if you give it another shot.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back