Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hawaii??

fmnjr

Bear with me people...so this morning the wife and I are have our daily bathroom BS session and she pipes up with plans to go to Hawaii for Christmas. Me, I'm thinking naw I'd rather be on a late winter hunt somewhere looking for deer, elk, etc. But I kept my yap shut and didn't say anything. But then, later on, I'm driving to work and recall that in the past I've seen/heard some reports that folks can and do hunt there so of course now I'm a lot more interested. Question is, what are the circumstances there? Is it true, or pure BS, that one can hunt without a permit? Hogs? Deer? I'd like to hear from anyone who has been there and done this. If any rumors I've heard of are true, this could be very interesting trip!

It has great deer hunting and cheap. This has been discussed here numerous times, do a word search here. "Hawaii" "Lanai" Molokai" "Maui" you will find plenty of info.

I leave in 2 weeks for Maui / Molokai to hunt axis deer and I don't plan to spend much. I have hunted the islands for many years.

Attachments

• 20120804_134656.jpg
    20120804_134656.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Been there several times doing the tourist thing I want adventure when I travel anywhere now. Axis deer is an archery hunt per your pic? Cool I might have to accelerate my plans to get squared away with gear!

On Lanai there are rifle areas and archery only areas. Other options too but they've been discussed already. I will be taking a rifle to Molokai but I can use any legal weapon.

Snorkeling was great I would rather rent gear and snorkel. Can't imagine you can take the meat home. I send fishing on a charter it was a nice boat ride saw lots of dolphins. Snorkeling and the weather were my favorite parts.

Well, everyone has their druthers....but sticking with the original topic, I appreciate the feedback on the hunting possibilities coz nowadays that's what I aim to do wherever I end up going on vacation, if at all possible.

I hunted mouflon on Lanai last fall. Thanks again Breck for the guidance. Handling the meat was pretty easy. I deboned everything in the field (now that it is legal). Then I bagged it and froze it. We spent a few days on Maui prior to flying back which allowed it to freeze solid. Then the bag was stuffed amongst my clothes for insulation in my luggage. After the 7 hour flight to seattle, 4 hour layover on a warm August day, and another two hour flight to Billings it was still almost completely solid.

When hunting Lanai I rent a house for cheap. They are rentals for hunters and have chest freezers. I left a foodsaver sealer there so I only need to take the bags with me. When I have hunted other islands while camping I have put the meat in an ice chest with dry ice, that will freeze it. Also I have reached out to local taxidermist' to store in his freezer until I head home. I don't know anyone on Molokai but I plan on asking around for some freezer space. In general, locals don't like tourist but when you are hunting the islands you are no longer a tourist, "you a hunta". There is a brotherhood in being a hunter and I find locals become very friendly and helpful.

Here's a pic of us cooling some venison in the shade while we wash the blood and sweat off of ourselves in the warm surf.

Attachments

• 20130902_154705.jpg
    20130902_154705.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
It has great deer hunting and cheap. This has been discussed here numerous times, do a word search here. "Hawaii" "Lanai" Molokai" "Maui" you will find plenty of info.

I leave in 2 weeks for Maui / Molokai to hunt axis deer and I don't plan to spend much. I have hunted the islands for many years.

Did as you suggested and found lots of info on this forum topic....should have known it would have been discussed before. If this trip becomes a reality I will definitely be making use of all the info you've previously provided, thank you. That pic I came across of the Mouflon you bagged on Lanai is badass!

Glass Eye,

I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full. How did you hunt go? Can you send me a message as I have a few questions to run by you.

Glass Eye,

I tried to send you a message but your inbox is full. How did you hunt go? Can you send me a message as I have a few questions to run by you.

I just emptied my inbox so you can message me now. We arrived on Maui and on the first morning my wife rolled her ankle so that changed everything. Ended up just visiting my brothers and taking it slow and easy with my wife.

Attachments

• 20180504_131950.jpg
    20180504_131950.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 20180511_145315.jpg
    20180511_145315.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 141

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member