New Mexico Draw 2018

Botch, Ill be spending some time in 24. my wife has that same deer hunt. If want to compare notes let me know. I live only a few hours from the unit and will spend some time there this summer and fall.

Hey guys, Newbie here....

So apparently I got extremely lucky and drew an elk tag in the Gila (16A) in the second rifle season, also first time putting in for NM. Ive never won or drew anything like this so I feel very fortunate. If anyone feels like sharing experience here or advice that would be much appreciated or I can give email. I will hunt DIY with at least one (Pack) friend with me, willing to hike as far as it takes. Although this only my second year hunting elk, I am used to being anywhere from 3-8 miles in. I am not a score guy just looking for a mature animal and ways to safely get the meat to the cooler (hopefully the weather is colder this fall in the southwest). I hope others got lucky this year as well!

Wow!! What a great retirement gift this year! Drew out on Muley and Elk and so did the kiddos! Looking forward to getting out there here later next week when I get back to NM from South Korea to chase some turkeys with my son! Feeling like 2018 is a gonna be a superb year for retirement!! Best of luck to all who drew out!

R,
Mikey

Aoudad for me, the 100 tag. I hear it's a tough hunt, but I'm really looking forward to it. Any info or insight is welcome since I've never hunted them before

16d second archery. Second year in a row! My son drew it in 2016 so it will be my third consecutive year spending the later part of Sept chasing bugling bulls in the Gila. So lucky!!

16d second archery. Second year in a row! My son drew it in 2016 so it will be my third consecutive year spending the later part of Sept chasing bugling bulls in the Gila. So lucky!!

wow thats so awesome! And I thought I was super lucky drawing 16a rifle for the first time ever putting in for NM.....

Unit 51 1st Rifle early October for me :hump: now the rest of the preparations begin.

I just transplanted from OR to TX. So I’m hoping to get there at least once this summer. I also plan to do a drive after archery elk in 9. I’ll gladly share whatever I got. I typically live on onX, and seem to do alright. Plenty of animals out there for everywhere and space too.

Botch, Ill be spending some time in 24. my wife has that same deer hunt. If want to compare notes let me know. I live only a few hours from the unit and will spend some time there this summer and fall.

Sorry I responded at the bottom. But I’m happy to share whatever I got. Plenty of animals and land out there for everyone

We are lucky brothers or what? Will be right across the unit boundary from you hunting Gila elk at the same time. odds of that happening are astronomical.

Last edited:
Got lucky and drew elk 6C first rifle hunt. Oct. 13-17, hopefully the bulls will still be singing.

21a

Holy cow! Drew my second choice 21a Archery second season starts September 15! First limited tag after 15 years Qof otc here in Montana! Any advice?

I'll be in the same boat come September. Drew 2nd choice 21A Archery second season! First limited tag but only 3rd year elk hunting. Cannot wait to get out there!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back