BHA rendezvous news...

BuzzH

See the 2018 rendezvous is making the news...

Best part of the entire event for me was getting to listen to Yvon Chouinard talk about public water access, teaching kids to fish, and his other stories. Hard not to like what the guy has to say. A man that's not afraid to put himself out there and take a chance or three.;)

“They say that hunters and tree huggers can’t get together,” Chouinard said. “That’s bullshit. The only way we’re going to get anything done is to work together.”

https://gearjunkie.com/yvon-chouinard-patagonia-hunters-anglers

I really wanted to make it this year for his talk. Couldn't work it out business schedule wise. I have been impressed with the post coverage.

Man all of the stories Saturday night were great. We were having a hard time on the drive home coming up with to many things they could improve on.

Man all of the stories Saturday night were great. We were having a hard time on the drive home coming up with to many things they could improve on.

It was a great time. They probably need a bigger venue next year. Where is it anyway?

On Sunday Ty told me that they had not started planning next year

I propose SLC. A major point of BHA is "growing the tent" of sportsmen as Land Tawney mentioned at the Campfire.

What better way to show the power of the Public Lands Hunter than filling the Salt Palace!

I propose SLC. A major point of BHA is "growing the tent" of sportsmen as Land Tawney mentioned at the Campfire.

What better way to show the power of the Public Lands Hunter than filling the Salt Palace!

That won't happen with the Utah anti public land stance. Many people are boycotting all things Utah.

Many people are boycotting all things Utah.

That's my point.

If BHA could get a huge contingent of Utah's hunters to see a different perspective and grow the BHA philosophy instead of ceding it to the SFW system, I see that as the best way to rally Utah's hunters to protect public land and effectively put the Utah politicians on notice that the public land contingency is powerful and involved.

We're playing the long game here; Bishop, et al, couldn't care less about the potential lost economic benefit of a Rendezvous. Having BHA boycott Utah literally does them no harm. However, BHA getting a big following in the state could actually help effect change.

****I say this as my personal opinion, and not as a Board Member of BHA Utah. With that said, I have seen the difficulty in recruiting new BHA members in this state. Recruiting to the BHA & public lands mindset is very difficult here and a Rendezvous could help change that.

Last edited:
GuNR <poops> in the living room, I don't give him a treat. I am weird like that.

Last edited:
Consider two hypotheticals for me...

1) If RMEF had won the Expo Contract, would you boycott that because it was in SLC? Remember, they were vying for a 5-10 year contract so the timing is applicable.

2) Do you think Rob Bishop would prefer 5,000 people rallying for public lands in SLC, as happened at The Grove on Friday night, or would he prefer that happen in another state? I believe he would rather public lands not get the center of attention in Utah, which means this 'boycott' is literally exactly what the land-grabbers want. I would rather that BHA punch him in the face (proverbially speaking) with the growing clout of BHA and use that opportunity to educate Utahn's about BHA and the importance of public lands.

We need to effect change in Utah, arguably the source of the Land Grab. We can't let the cancer fester and spread unbridled.

My first response was, "No Way," or something more colorful. As I've thought about it, I kind of like the idea. Nothing like walking into the bully's playground, calling him a puss, then kicking him in the sack so all of his friends can see.

Great approach to it Randy.
Kinda like cutting the head of the beast off by doing it in Utah.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back