Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Public Land Ambassador - Marcus The Leupold Llama

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Last season while hunting with Bruce Pettet, CEO of Leupold, he mentioned how all our llama content gets a lot of views. We joked that the llamas were better looking and more interesting. Maybe more reality than I care to admit. Bruce explained that he had a new idea that I might find to be crazy, but he laid it out like this.

He wants to have Leupold continue their support of public lands, though ramping it up in a way others have not thought of. He believes the public land story is mostly untold, to both the general public and to many in the hunting world who don't hunt public lands. He pointed out to me that I probably see this challenge through a different lens than many hunters, as I am too immersed to see it any other way. Hard to argue with that.

He explained this two-pronged strategy as it relates to Leupold and our platforms.

1. Use the intrigue of llamas to gain attention of those who might not come from the hunting/fishing world. Use the llamas as a way to gain attention and then create public land stories about the public lands these llamas travel over the course of their season. Beau Baty of Wilderness Ridge Trail Llamas does backcountry trips in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, and Utah. Marcus will be part of Beau's summer operation and Beau has offered to provide images of all the places Marcus is traveling. I will work with Leupold to tell the story of those public lands, how they became public lands, and what value they provide for the public.

2(a). Continue to fund our platforms and have me out there continuing to do what we do. My public land advocacy and lack of concern about politicians' hurt feelings can generate heated emails. Leupold and my partners know that comes with the territory and they continue to support my efforts to do it. It is part of the expected deliverables in my agreement with Leupold to do this public land advocacy. They don't like to make a big deal of that, but having Leupold in my corner and them expecting me to advocate for public lands is invaluable to us.

2(b). Have our crew take over the "Where's Marcus" activities while hunting this season. Marcus, along with three other llamas will be part of the team that we take to the mountains this fall. Yeah, a lot of people will have a better idea of where we are hunting, but I suspect most folks quickly find out where we are. We will send Leupold images of where we are and continue the story of how these public lands are what make this possible.

This is not about selling products. It is about Leupold supporting our work on public lands. As Bruce recently told me, "These public lands are foundational to many things, personal and professional; to our business, to hunting, and to the lifestyle of our employees. Anyone who thinks otherwise is out of touch." I am thankful for Bruce's creativity and the Leupold's commitment to keep us out on the road, doing things like we did at BHA last week, like the TEDx presentation now making its rounds, allowing us to promote the public land message.

This social media campaign will be called "Where's Marcus?" Those who follow social media will see the hashtag #LeupoldLlama.

Marcus Llama.jpg

There is a significantly larger audience than the hunting world, an audience of public land users who may not realize the importance of advocacy on behalf of public lands. Marcus may garner the attention of much of that audience and prove to be the key to not only promoting greater support of public lands, but also support of the ethical hunting legacy which too often gets tainted by the more dramatic hunting shows and other media perspectives of hunting.

this is great stuff. leupold had the llama cutout at the BHA Rendezvous booth and it brought a lot of positive attention to them along with Randy talking with folks in front of the booth. looking forward to seeing updates this fall regarding "where's Marcus?".

I can see lots of us HT'ers taking a photo of of Marcus into lots of public lands and getting llama selfies taken and shared. Sorta like a "Where's Marcus going now?" campaign in the vein of the traveling gnome of Travelocity.

Really good and idea and it should make for a good story. I hope this catches on across the US to help us keep our lands public!

For your entire post, up until the press release, I thought you were talking about Marcus the cameraman taking the summer to hangout with 3 llamas! :confused: After watching the day-by-day Arizona posts, I'm actually a little disappointed it isn't Marcus the cameraman.

This is an idea worth pursuing. I will support Leupold by buying their gear and thanks to them for their support.

More kudos to Randy. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Sounds like a winner to me. I always associate Leupold with riflescopes, but they make a fine line of Binos too.

Last edited:
I like it. Has many different directions you can take it and opens the door to discussions with non-hunters concerning public lands. Good idea.

Taking a tangent - the Llama is certainly much better than the little bear-bait, white poodle-looking dog I saw in Big Fin's incognito rig yesterday. Your man-card is going to be in serious jeopardy if you're driving around town with that in your lap. It had better be your wife's! ;) Just kidding - or, maybe not...... :p

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back