Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 Yrds?

1. Default 500 Yrds?

My wife and I have been really lucky and have drawn a late season bull tag in central Arizona. We are excited to get out there and scout and find a nice bull for her to shoot. We have spoken to alot of people, and we seem to hear many of the same things from most. I have read that 500+ yards is something to practice at, and 600+ is not uncommon. A friend mentioned that they took four shots at an elk that they did harvest, at over 750 yards. Are we just hearing stories?
    I am a good shot with a rifle, my wife even better, but if the consensus is that we will need to prepare for 500+ yard shots, I think this may be our last late season elk hunt. I have zero issue with a 300 yard shot, and the lethality of the 308 we will use, but, that doesn't extend to 500 yards.
    Just curious if those long shots are the norm, or the exception.

Thanks for reading, any responses will be appreciated.

500 yards is common up here in Montana !
    You might need a bigger gun or put the Sneek on them Big Boys !

Simple solution to your problem KandM is to get within your 300 yard comfort zone to fill your tag or eat it. You'll still have a ton of fun even if you don't pull the trigger on your hunt.

Get a “500 yard rifle” and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    Simple solution to your problem KandM is to get within your 300 yard comfort zone to fill your tag or eat it. You'll still have a ton of fun even if you don't pull the trigger on your hunt.
    ^^^^This....everyone has a limit and for me it is 400m. Past that, no matter what the ballistics of the weapon, that turns into just shooting for me. Again, this is a personal thing but if you have any hesitation find a way to close the distance.
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    You quit that. mtmuley

Don’t sweat it. Stalk into your 300 limit and make a clean kill. You owe the bull that much.
    What doesn't kill you, hunts like hell.

All about your comfort zone and what your confident out to, shooting a animal is way different then paper. IMO you better be damn sure of yourself on any shot and with today's technology 7, 8, 900 yard shots seem like a lay down. Even though they seem that way there's always a margin for error... the further you get the greater the risk for error. You'd hate to wing the big one and the only story you have is ..... you were lobbing shots at 800, just could quite connect.

That being said I have seen it with my own two eyes one get popped at 987 and one at 885. I will say this guy is retired and all he does is shoot and reload and shoot some more.
    I've taken 2 deer in the 750 range and probably wouldn't do it again not much of an adventure when all a guy does is flip the safety.
    Ain't doing half bad for a half full glass - Drake White

I can think of very few places in AZ when a 500+ yards shot would be necessary. Are you in unit 22 and planning on shooting off the Mogollon rim? If so then also better work on extreme angle shooting in addition to long range. Most places you can get under 300. I think in the 10+ elk I've killed with a rifle in AZ, only 1 has been over 200 yards. Most were 50 to 150 yards. Don't sweat it and good luck!

Depending on the unit, I would make sure I could shoot well to at least 400. I've not hunted there a ton, but have shot 3 bulls in AZ.

The first one was maybe 70 yards or so, but I really took a chance on stalking that bull, and just about blew it. I had a good shot at 430 yards, but elected to pass and got closer and like I say, shot it at 70 yards. The second bull I killed was at 620 and there just was no getting closer due to several things. Last years bull, I was able to get to 260.

The places I've found bulls could require some longer shooting on those late tags. My 2 cents.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

11. Default

Just gunna’ send it!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noharleyyet View Post
    Creedmoor or RUM?
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

23?

14. Default

We do have a 6.5 creed, but the energy over 400 yards is questionable. We can both make a good shot on an elk at 500, but just doesn't seem an ethical chance to take.
    We could go bigger. But why? We will do whatever it takes to get closer, if it is to be it will be. I have almost 3 dozen whitetails with a bow, all stalking. Thanks for all the comments.

15. Default

Sorry, we are hunting 5a.

Probably a non-issue in 5a...have fun.
    "...the world outside, which my brother and I soon discovered, was full of bastards, the number increasing rapidly the farther one gets from Missoula, Montana." -Norman Maclean

"They were still so young they hadn't learned to count the odds and to sense they might owe the universe a tragedy"
    -Norman Maclean

Quote Originally Posted by KandM View Post
    We do have a 6.5 creed, but the energy over 400 yards is questionable. We can both make a good shot on an elk at 500, but just doesn't seem an ethical chance to take.
    We could go bigger. But why? We will do whatever it takes to get closer, if it is to be it will be. I have almost 3 dozen whitetails with a bow, all stalking. Thanks for all the comments.
    I shoot regularly out past 1000 yards. With a gun that could carry then energy I would consider 500 yards a chip shot on an elk size animal in the vitals but there are a lot of caveats. Number one is wind less than 5 mph predictably. Not 5 mph in my sheltered hide hole and 20 mph in the canyon I am shooting across. I would really have to know my wind. Next is a rock steady set up and no rushing. Having time to do my mental checks. Gun is leveled on the bubble, parallax is set and so on. Then yeah. I would feel ethical with the right gun. Haven't ever gone that route yet but isn't out of the question. Usually it is closer., much closer Last year in Arizona late rifle I was dealing with winds 20+ nearly every day. I wouldn't even have considered it. Did run into a guy that claimed he shot one down in "the canyon" over 900. That would be a luck thing or he is a hell of a lot better trained than I am to make all the necessary adjustments to be ethical on that shot.
    Last edited by EZBreazy; 04-16-2018 at 10:18 PM.

So many things can go wrong when are shooting at longer distances. Issues that do not move the bullet much off intended point of impact at 200 yards become issues at 400 yards and big issues at 600 yards. Animals take steps. Winds swirl or move in multiple directions along the path of the bullet. Scope may not be exactly aligned on rifle. Rifle may be cantered as prepare to shoot. Powder temperature. Clean vs. fouled barrel. Breathing.

Part of the challenge is being able to get close enough a bull might see, smell and hear you. At 600 yards the bull might not have a chance to do any of the three. I hear people talk about their very long shots at critters and my conclusion is a paper target is the only thing I would shoot at that distance unless my freedom was at stake.

I would never want to hunt with a bullet where you merely lock the bull in the scope, fire off the round and track on the bull until bullet flies by wire to impact. That technology may be possible at some point. I like the hunt part more than the shoot and killing. My 2 cents. Thankfully this is your tag, your hunt. You get to decide how you want to approach the hunt. You will do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by KandM View Post
    but just doesn't seem an ethical chance to take.
    I think you have answered your own question.

Cheers
    Richard
    That's what the actress said to the bishop

There is a distance for everyone where hunting becomes just killing. Lets not forget we are in this for a whole lot more than just a kill and some cool pictures.

21. Default

Indians used to kill them with spears, homemade bows and arrows with rocks fastened to the end of their arrows..

I would think you should be able to get within your 300 yard comfort zone.

500 seems a bit far. I knew a guy outta Spanish Fork that shot a large bull (375ish) on his long-awaited Utah tag. He was so proud of his 11 shots at 660 yards that it took to finally make the elk go down. Don't be that guy, please.
    I like the 300 yard idea.
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by el unit View Post
    500 seems a bit far. I knew a guy outta Spanish Fork that shot a large bull (375ish) on his long-awaited Utah tag. He was so proud of his 11 shots at 660 yards that it took to finally make the elk go down. Don't be that guy, please.
    I like the 300 yard idea.
    I watched a guy send 5 shots @ a bull across a canyon in CO/61, @ least 700 yards. I left in disgust, and he kept shooting. Don't be that guy!

IF you can.... practice, practice, practice at the longest range that you possibly can, under all conditions you can. Then do your Damnedest to get as close as you can. Hitting a paper plate a 4-500 yds regularly will seem like a piece of cake at 2-300...
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

As someone that has limited myself to around 400 yard shots for a long time, I intend to improve my range to 500 for elk for when I draw my limited tags in other states. I don't think it hurts to have that capability should the need arise for a tag that doesn't come along too often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast