Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Maui axis Deer hunt?

redduck

Hello All,

I am looking into planning an axis deer hunt (Archery) in Maui this summer. I would appreciate any advice you all can me.

Best,
Redduck

It can be done but it most likely will be very challenging. Will you be hunting from a treestand? Spot and stalk is difficult. The tough part is that axis deer usually travel in herds. That's a lot of eyes to avoid.

I used to hunt Haleakala Ranch. My preference is predator camo. Full camo, including a face mask can make a difference.

I leave in 2 weeks for Maui but I will jump over to Molokai for axis. I have never hunted on Molokai but I have hunted on Lanai and Maui numerous times. Lanai is your best by far. Axis on Maui are mostly found on private land and unless you know a landowner or go through a guide you won't have much of a chance. Take the ferry from Lahaina to Lanai and buy a permit from the Lanai Game Management. They have a pay per day rifle hunt or an archery only permit good for the license year and unlimited kill.

Attachments

• 2015-03-14 11.02.41.jpg
    2015-03-14 11.02.41.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 1,143
Awesome thread! I'm in the beginning stages of planning a Lanai axis archery hunt. Great pics glass eye!

I leave in 2 weeks for Maui but I will jump over to Molokai for axis. I have never hunted on Molokai but I have hunted on Lanai and Maui numerous times. Lanai is your best by far. Axis on Maui are mostly found on private land and unless you know a landowner or go through a guide you won't have much of a chance. Take the ferry from Lahaina to Lanai and buy a permit from the Lanai Game Management. They have a pay per day rifle hunt or an archery only permit good for the license year and unlimited kill.

So you were not on private land on Lanai?
Matt

So you were not on private land on Lanai?
Matt

Technically speaking, all of Lana'i is private. However, the northern half of the island is leased to the State for controlled hunts. The southern half is managed by Lanai Game Management. I have hunted all over Lanai several times.

Attachments

• 2015-03-12 15.38.50.jpg
    2015-03-12 15.38.50.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 1,047
Technically speaking, all of Lana'i is private. However, the northern half of the island is leased to the State for controlled hunts. The southern half is managed by Lanai Game Management. I have hunted all over Lanai several times.

So a DIY Axis hunt is totally possible than? No paying for access? My wife like's going too Maui so Lanai is close that I could do some hunting while i'm there.
Matt

So a DIY Axis hunt is totally possible than? No paying for access? My wife like's going too Maui so Lanai is close that I could do some hunting while i'm there.
Matt

All of my hunts are DIY. I'm going to Molokai for axis, pig, goat and it will only cost me a $100 non resident license, rental car, camping permits.

Attachments

• 2014-05-21 15.26.22.jpg
    2014-05-21 15.26.22.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 941
  • 20140519_105849.jpg
    20140519_105849.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
Very cool glass eye, looks like you are dialled in! I think I will try for goats or pigs in Maui, do u think a good chance to get one of those animals in Maui? and or maybe I’ll make a trip to Lana’i with my bow.

Great camp spot on Molokai. I live on Oahu and travel to Molokai for Axis deer as well. I camp up mountain near Kamilo Harbor. Where is the beach/camp situation in the pic, looks amazing.
I leave an extra older truck at the Molokai airport, free parking. A dip in the ocean after a vertical day in the mountains sounds good.....

glass eye, how did you get the meat back to the CONUS? I'm going to Maui in a few weeks and would like to hunt some hogs, but looking for options on getting the meat back to WA. Thanks!

glass eye, how did you get the meat back to the CONUS? I'm going to Maui in a few weeks and would like to hunt some hogs, but looking for options on getting the meat back to WA. Thanks!

O Lana'i I have access to a chest freezer and I bone them out vacuum seal. On Maui you can get dry ice in Kahului at Airgas. Keep it on dry ice until check in.

Do you guys bring your own rifles, ammo etc from the mainland to Hawaii?

Do you guys bring your own rifles, ammo etc from the mainland to Hawaii?
Always, except for muzzleloader ammo because airlines prohibit travel with powder and primers. You will have to buy powder and primers over there and they are not easy to find.
You will have to register your guns with the local PD and it's like being booked in jail; mug shots and finger prints. Very un- American.

Always, except for muzzleloader ammo because airlines prohibit travel with powder and primers. You will have to buy powder and primers over there and they are not easy to find.
You will have to register your guns with the local PD and it's like being booked in jail; mug shots and finger prints. Very un- American.
Can you explain a little more about that process? I’m gonna fly with my rifle with a pelican case. Upon landing in Maui can I do that at the airport or do I need to go to a local police department? I’m traveling with a group so I’m trying to be as convenient as possible.

Can you explain a little more about that process? I’m gonna fly with my rifle with a pelican case. Upon landing in Maui can I do that at the airport or do I need to go to a local police department? I’m traveling with a group so I’m trying to be as convenient as possible.
You have to do it at the PD.
Best to go online and check out their days and hours of operation. Just Google it.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back