Lower 48 Caribou

Schaaf

I can't remember if this has been discussed on here or not. The lower 48 is now down to 3 Caribou left. Just imagine if a portion of the funding that will be used to fight Grizzly Bear delisting went to the few remaining Caribou we have.
[video=vimeo;210812190]https://vimeo.com/210812190[/video]

Last edited:
This is one of the most depressing and disheartening pieces of conservation news I can remember in a long time. The lack of support or outcry for this population is crazy, I guess these Caribou just aren't charismatic enough to warrant overwhelming public support.

I heard about this as well. Was there a single event that caused the population to drop to 3? I though it was as high as 10 a couple months ago?

I didn't even know there was caribou in the lower 48. Does anyone have anymore info on this?

I don't think there's much outcry because people just don't know they're (were) there.

The catch 22 of the endangered species act. Where a ton of money gets wasted and the final say is a federal judge who has no fish and/or wildlife experience.

Its no better on this side of the border where they also roam. I remember being able to see this herd regularly growing up. This province and its motto of management to zero for our wildlife is super disheartening...... but at least we got to make some 2x4's out of the habitat!

Last edited:
Really is too bad. I don't think many people knew about it...for whatever reason. I didn't have a clue until Steve Rinella had it on a podcast a while back. With all the publicity of things like grizzlies, wolves, national monuments, clean water act, climate change, etc, I think caribou just got lost in the noise

Really is too bad. I don't think many people knew about it...for whatever reason. I didn't have a clue until Steve Rinella had it on a podcast a while back. With all the publicity of things like grizzlies, wolves, national monuments, clean water act, climate change, etc, I think caribou just got lost in the noise

It was episode 42, sad to hear the situations gotten worse since that podcast.

Was it something that could really grow and be a part of a ecosystem that could thrive where they roamed?

Back