Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Pack for daughter

Redman

I know what I like in hunting backpacks for me, but my 14 year old daughter is a different story. Josie needs a pack and we really dont have any stores here in Indiana with people I trust helping out. I have a pack she can use but I want one that will more than just get her by. Josie is a large framed girl around 5' 6. I am not a brand specific guy. Also I am going to have here packing her clothes, sleeping gear, food, gun, and ammo. I will pack the rest. We will be in the mountains for 6 days. Thank you for your advice.

Redman, if you are looking for a hunting specific pack most of the higher end companies (MR, SG, SO, etc) have great customer service and would be able to walk you through getting a good fit on their stuff. If you are looking at a backpacking pack I would suggest heading to REI if you can (I think there is one in Castleton). They have a big selection, including female specific units, and reasonably knowledgeable associates.

I am familiar with all of those companies and unfortunately here in the flat lands REI doesn't have customer support at their store when it comes to doing what we do. Hard to find any place with someone who knows what they are talking about when it comes to hunting gear besides turkey and whitetails here in Indiana.

I can say that my MR pack was really easy to get adjusted for a great fit. Took a couple of minutes.

I bought my daughter a Badlands day pack that was specifically for females. (supposedly) It wouldn't be big enough for the things you are wanting to pack into it but I wanted to let you know that it did fit her better than mens packs. My badlands day pack road down on her hipbones too far. The Female version stays up higher for her. I have a Stone Glacier Solo , (3300?/3500?) - anyway it fits me incredibly well and is super light. It holds 7 days worth of everything for me by using the load shelf for food storage, but it still squishes down really well for day pack usage once the sleeping and cooking supplies are unloaded. It's kinda spendy but every time I come home from a trip with it I tell my wife how grateful I am that I spent the extra $ and got a good quality pack. I would recommend looking up their website and calling Kurt. He is very friendly and can surely help you figure out the best route to go. Best wishes to both of you, I hope to read about her adventures!

Cush I don't want to spoil her, plus I need to get her in shape so one day she can pack my gear!

SFC B I will consider that a bit nervous to drop that kind of $$ if she doesn't like it. I have also considered getting the Outdoormans frame and attaching one of my pack bags to it.

Muskeez good info. I was trying to decide on what the minimum cu in. I should go with... I was thinking no less than 2500.
Thank you all for the help!

I wouldn't go less than 3300 if you want her to be able to do overnight trips. I guess you could always strap some stuff to the top of any pack tho. I haven't done this for very many years but have found that I take the same stuff on a 2 day trip that I do on a 7 day. Just more food is all.

I'd take her to REI. They'll have something more than suitable, in her size, and in a style/color she likes. Many of the newer internal frames have plenty of adjustment and there are plenty of fitting videos/tutorials on YouTube. The selection at the Noblesville Cabelas leaves quite a bit to be desired IMO. My wife bought a NorthFace pack there many years ago. My pard in ID uses the very same model for a lot of his hunting/packing...

If you did spring for a more hunting specific, high end pack and she doesn't like it, I bet it'd be pretty easy to off load with a minimal loss. Camofire has been running a lot of Mystery Ranch packs lately...

I would try looking at some of the regular women’s backpacking packs. They are way cheaper for starters, and there are MANY more options for women so it should be easier to find one that fits. I think especially for a 14 year old, this will not be the pack she grows old with so don’t drop the money for one of the big names.

I laid out her gear last night. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, down vest, down jacket, down pants, 2 pair of socks, and rain gear. Only thing else she will be taking is food, ammo, and rifle. She will be wearing the rest. I am not wanting her to pack much on her first trip so I will be the mule. I am looking hard at a MR Scape Goat 35. With what gear she will be packing it should be just right.

I laid out her gear last night. Sleeping bag, sleeping pad, down vest, down jacket, down pants, 2 pair of socks, and rain gear. Only thing else she will be taking is food, ammo, and rifle. She will be wearing the rest. I am not wanting her to pack much on her first trip so I will be the mule. I am looking hard at a MR Scape Goat 35. With what gear she will be packing it should be just right.

Scapegoat is on sale on Camofire right now for 179.99....... :)

I don't know that I would trade my pack for a daughter. My pack has served me very well in the long run. Barter a bit and at least get a good spotter, or a rifle ta boot.

It's simply a $$$ maintenance issue.

If she isn't going to be packing meat I would skip hunting company packs and go the traditional backpacking route, a 65L osprey pack would be plenty big enough and is going to demolish SG, EXO, ect in terms of price and weight. Also you are likely going to get a better fit as Osprey, Gregory, Deuter typically come in a range of sizes.

Scapegoat is on sale on Camofire right now for 179.99....... :)

Beat me to it. If you get the right waist belt and the yoke is adjustable, then ther isn't much else to make work. I think if thats in your budget, go for it. If you are traveling by a cabelas on your way just stop on your way to the hunt. That would work for most any store or brand you are looking for.

Just got off the phone with Aaron at MR and he confirmed the Scape Goat would be a good choice if she isn't going to be packing more than just her gear. So I have one coming from Camofire. Thanks for all of your help!

Back