help me decide on new set of tires

okie archer

I guess I'm actually wanted a general consensus on what people think are the best brand of tires. I am getting ready to put on a set of 10 ply tires on my 2012 Ford F150 1/2 ton 4x4. I'm sick of flats on rough roads.

Anybody running the ST MAXX notice any excessive road noise? I've got Cooper AT/3 on my SUV(also 10 ply), the drone from about 35-55 mph is awful. Tread wear has been good though and haven't had any flats yet after about 55k miles.

I've got BFG AT T/A KO2 on my pickup, and in my opinion has been a superior tire (traction and treadwear as good as the Coopers, no bad road noise).

We have had really good luck with Goodyear duratrac’s on our 2015 f150. Have yet to have a flat, and they have great ice traction. Just about to roll 40,000 miles on them, still got pretty good life left. We rotate every 4,000 miles. I have Kelly safari tsr’s on my 1 ton, good tire as well but not nearly as good of ice traction as Goodyear’s

I'll second the Cooper AT3. I've heard great things about the Duratrac, but have never had them. Another one to look at is the Hankook Dynapro ATM. Pretty inexpensive and durable. Road noise has been a slight issue though around 35-50mph.

Anybody running the ST MAXX notice any excessive road noise? I've got Cooper AT/3 on my SUV(also 10 ply), the drone from about 35-55 mph is awful. Tread wear has been good though and haven't had any flats yet after about 55k miles.

I've got BFG AT T/A KO2 on my pickup, and in my opinion has been a superior tire (traction and treadwear as good as the Coopers, no bad road noise).

No, they're surprisingly quiet. I did have a set of STT Pros that were loud though.

I love the STmaxx. They found the sweet spot between an all terrain and mud terrain.

The only down side is their weight and stiffness. Even at low PSI they're a rough ride on my single cab F150. I see Jeeps and Tacomas with them on and can't imagine how they must ride.

I've got 50k on mine and they still have a ton of life left in them.

I've run Cooper A/T tires on my one ton and half ton pickup with no noise issues or any other issues to speak of for the past 4-5 years. Plus side they're made in America too.

BFG ATs have been good to me off the pavement. I don't need or want 10-plys though. Mine are four, I think. I still have to spend 10-18 hrs on pavement getting there, so optimizing solely for off road conditions is not a smart move for me.

General Grabber AT2

I wont run anything else.

I get 40K out of them with a 2500 Ram.

Its a heavy truck and hard on about any tire. These ones hold up the best and I have NEVER had a flat....

BFG AT and Firestones gave me so many flats it made me sick.

I switched from BFG All Terrains and NEVER LOOKED BACK.

They are the cheapest and best tire I have found...

Also check ebay for tires. Have them shipped to your door and take them to the dealer.... Its way cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-265-...ash=item487c70df02:g:Zo4AAOSw90xasq6I&vxp=mtr

Put in your tire size and make sure to sort by free shipping.

I go through a lot of tires.

It saves me a TON of money doing things this way.

I always go to a tire shop and pay the 20$/tire to mount and balance......and I ALWAYS take my tires home. I dont pay for disposal...

Tire shops are thieves....

Last edited:
General Grabber AT2

I wont run anything else.

I get 40K out of them with a 2500 Ram.

Its a heavy truck and hard on about any tire. These ones hold up the best and I have NEVER had a flat....

BFG AT and Firestones gave me so many flats it made me sick.

I switched from BFG All Terrains and NEVER LOOKED BACK.

They are the cheapest and best tire I have found...

Also check ebay for tires. Have them shipped to your door and take them to the dealer.... Its way cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-265-...ash=item487c70df02:g:Zo4AAOSw90xasq6I&vxp=mtr

Put in your tire size and make sure to sort by free shipping.

I go through a lot of tires.

It saves me a TON of money doing things this way.

I always go to a tire shop and pay the 20$/tire to mount and balance......and I ALWAYS take my tires home. I dont pay for disposal...

Tire shops are thieves....

I 2nd the General Grabber AT2. I had a set on my 2011 F-150 and they still had a ton of life after 40,000 miles on them when I traded the truck. My current truck 2015 GMC Sierra 1500 has a set of 10 ply General Grabber AT2 with 34,000 miles on them and they still look great...I will probably get 60k out of them. Since I switched to 10 ply tires on my half tons they have worn like IRON...yes they are a little stiffer riding but I will not switch back.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back