Caribou Gear Tarp

help me decide on new set of tires

I've had good results with Coopers...currently running ST MAXX's on my 3/4 ton (10 ply). Great tires, they've gotten me through some of the nastiest gumbo you can imagine.

BUT, you got to rotate them every 6 k or you'll regret not keeping up with that little task.

Noise: Good God Man! Its a TRUCK...I like a little noise. If I want to feel I'm not driving a truck; I take the old lady's rig. :D

Last edited:
I have ran 2 sets of BFG AT's on my truck over the years, switched it up to Duratrac's just recently and couldn't be happier with the Duratrac's. Never had a complaint with the BFG's, I believe they are about 6's with the Duratrac's.

Always ran BFG A/T until this last set got a good deal on some General grabber at2. Have been very happy with both the Generals seem to be just as good with a little cheaper price tag.

Firestone Transforce A/T. We've had 5 or 6 sets and have had really good luck with all of them

I've had good results with Coopers...currently running ST MAXX's on my 3/4 ton (10 ply). Great tires, they've gotten me through some of the nastiest gumbo you can imagine.

BUT, you got to rotate them every 6 k or you'll regret not keeping up with that little task.

Noise: Good God Man! Its a TRUCK...I like a little noise. If I want to feel I'm not driving a truck; I take the old lady's rig. :D

"Little" being the key word.. Sucks when you can't hardly carry a conversation due to tire noise though.

Another vote for the GY Duratracs. That is all I run on my Silverado 2500HD. Get about 50,000 or so on average out of them. Probably could do better if I rotated more than once or twice per set.

Goodyear Dura tracks. Great tire not a lot of howl and dows great in lava rocks..
Discount Tire if you have a store close by.

I was going to get the Cooper ST Maxx & found Kenda Klever MT's to fit my F150 offroad for much less. Have had excellent luck with these on the Tacoma on any terrain.
I had Yokahama Geolanders & they were great, but were getting shredded on these NM dirt/gravel/mud roads.They also slid in bad mud. Getting some cheap rims for hwy trip weiners for them.
They are about as noisy on hwy as the Coopers,which is not too bad for a very aggressive tire .Quieter than Goodyears & Goodriches ,IMHO
That, not getting stuck or having a flat once in a great while ( 1 in 3yrs) made the $100 a tire less than Coopers easy choice.
Duratracs lasted a year in NM......

Last edited:
ive been a duratrac guy forever, run them on all our work trucks, last 18 months been putting falkeen wildpeak at on the trucks, better mileage, better traction gravel, scoria, mud snow ice, you name it, cheaper, and can I say better mileage, 47,000 on a set rotated 2x, on a f150 4wd, 6/32nds left on them, all the trucks look the same,,,

put them on my personal truck, have 8000 miles on them, tremendous traction,,,,, and I have bought many many sets of duratracs and hankooks and cooper at3

I really like the Duratracs I put on my old Tundra this September.

We came ripping out of there on the 2 trac that night in the blizzard!

Please note the high $ cooler!

Attachments

• IMG_2913.JPG
    IMG_2913.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
BFG ATs have been good to me off the pavement. I don't need or want 10-plys though. Mine are four, I think. I still have to spend 10-18 hrs on pavement getting there, so optimizing solely for off road conditions is not a smart move for me.

The OP said he was tired of getting flats on rough roads. 4 ply tires on a hunting truck would just be asking for more flats.
Lots of good suggestions on tires here. Stick with a name brand in a 10 ply rating and you should be good to go. Yes they are a little pricey but they are worth it in the long run and flats will be few and far between or non-existent.

I have had great luck with toyos currently have the AT2 10ply with 67k miles on my 14 GMC 1/2. They are not the quietest tire and they tend to have a flat spot when you are start out in the morning(it goes away after 10 miles). I have never had a tire wear this long and I am going to try to run them until this fall.

Cooper A/T 3 had them on my 2012 Ford F150 STX. They wear good and have minimal road noise. I got 56000 miles on them rotating every oil change and still could of got more mileage but traded in the truck.

^^^These. Best all around tire you can put on a pickup.

Agreed! When they went to K02 for these, it was noticeable improvement. Have them on my pickup and jeep. Been in mountains, plains, big sharp rocks (jeep mostly) and they are phenomenal. My last set of coopers were great until about 50% tread was left. Didn't handle the ice and snow as well for me and ended up switching early which hurt the checkbook.

At work we run BFG KO2s, Duratracs, and work great out in the mud and crud, and I personally run Hankook Dynapro ATM on my wifes SUV, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Duramax. All these tires are quiet and perform great. The Hankooks are my favorite all around tire, great on the highway but awesome when I borrow her rig to get to the fish house or climb the muddy hills for trapping and syruping. The ridge grapplers are an awesome tire as well but those rarely see highway, when I hop in the duramax we are going places that have very little asphalt and near zero cell reception. Neither tire has let me down.

At work we run BFG KO2s, Duratracs, and work great out in the mud and crud, and I personally run Hankook Dynapro ATM on my wifes SUV, and Nitto Ridge Grapplers on my Duramax. All these tires are quiet and perform great. The Hankooks are my favorite all around tire, great on the highway but awesome when I borrow her rig to get to the fish house or climb the muddy hills for trapping and syruping. The ridge grapplers are an awesome tire as well but those rarely see highway, when I hop in the duramax we are going places that have very little asphalt and near zero cell reception. Neither tire has let me down.

The Hankooks are the best tire I have had on ice snow and mud.

Back