Default How many of you gents go spot & stalk lopes with no decoy?

As a Coloradan, good Antelope opportunities with a rifle are kind of hard to draw and take some points. So while I'm building I've decided I want to get good at stalking them during the OTC Archery season. I've already got a spot I've been to before, it was my first time stalking with a bow last year and needless to say I was unsuccessful but it was so fun. The area has spots with Pinyon Juniper so there can be some natural cover. I don't want to sit in a blind either, I'd rather get good at the challenge of stalking.

For those of you that have been successful stalking lopes with a bow, is a decoy a quintessential part of your success or do you get it done more often by just using the contours of the land and natural hide spots? I'm thinking about grabbing a Montana decoy if I were to grab one. Has anybody had success using the Head's Up decoy?

A Montana decoy worked like a charm for me in NV. It did nothing for me in AZ but I got it done spot & stalk.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Nice bucks! Were you stalking solo holding the decoy in front of you or did you have some help holding the decoy? I only ask because I’m gonna be solo the majority of my outings. Just curious if it makes it difficult holding bow and decoy together.

My son was walking in front of me with the decoy shielding us.

I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on meth, so blinds aren't an option for me. All I do is spot and stalk. I've had pretty good luck just about every year. A white handkerchief is often a benefit, especially when they start rutting. Where I hunt is tall sage and cholla, so getting around is pretty easy, even for my big dumb ass. Flagging is pretty fun if you can get near a herd. Tie it to a branch and set out flanking the herd down wind and stalk in and usually the flag will keep their attention. I've gotten within 12 yards of a buck doing that. I've had shots from 12 to 73 yards spot and stalking. I have more non successful stalks than successful ones, but you get to learn the quirks and nuances of each herd you're on. One year I was on a P&Y buck for most of the season, but whenever I got within 80 yards the same doe blew me out every time. This went on for a couple of weeks, so eventually she ended up in my freezer with my e/s tag on her
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCushman View Post
    I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on meth, so blinds aren't an option for me. All I do is spot and stalk. I've had pretty good luck just about every year. A white handkerchief is often a benefit, especially when they start rutting. Where I hunt is tall sage and cholla, so getting around is pretty easy, even for my big dumb ass. Flagging is pretty fun if you can get near a herd. Tie it to a branch and set out flanking the herd down wind and stalk in and usually the flag will keep their attention. I've gotten within 12 yards of a buck doing that. I've had shots from 12 to 73 yards spot and stalking. I have more non successful stalks than successful ones, but you get to learn the quirks and nuances of each herd you're on. One year I was on a P&Y buck for most of the season, but whenever I got within 80 yards the same doe blew me out every time. This went on for a couple of weeks, so eventually she ended up in my freezer with my e/s tag on her
    I thought you attracted them with your sharp wit and amazing intelect.
    Self proclaimed Founder, President, and Spiritual Leader of the I.S.V.F......Introduce Speedgoats to Virginia Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by VAspeedgoat View Post
    I thought you attracted them with your sharp wit and amazing intelect.
    Somehow that only attracts biker chicks and Jehova's Witnesses
    I'm an addict...archery, rifles, shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, hunting, fishing, fly fishing..and I don't want rehab

CWEH...Colorado's Worst Elk Hunter 2007-2017 (but I'm still damned sexy) 10 years of consistency!!

I cannot imagine using a decoy. Seems like a huge PITA. I don't feel at all handicapped without one.