Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

How many of you gents go spot & stalk lopes with no decoy?

Bamaboy16

As a Coloradan, good Antelope opportunities with a rifle are kind of hard to draw and take some points. So while I'm building I've decided I want to get good at stalking them during the OTC Archery season. I've already got a spot I've been to before, it was my first time stalking with a bow last year and needless to say I was unsuccessful but it was so fun. The area has spots with Pinyon Juniper so there can be some natural cover. I don't want to sit in a blind either, I'd rather get good at the challenge of stalking.

For those of you that have been successful stalking lopes with a bow, is a decoy a quintessential part of your success or do you get it done more often by just using the contours of the land and natural hide spots? I'm thinking about grabbing a Montana decoy if I were to grab one. Has anybody had success using the Head's Up decoy?

A Montana decoy worked like a charm for me in NV. It did nothing for me in AZ but I got it done spot & stalk.

Attachments

• IMG_1429.jpg
    IMG_1429.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 384
  • NVantelopebowsite.jpg
    NVantelopebowsite.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 376
  • IMGA0005.jpg
    IMGA0005.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 381
  • 20140812_180006.jpg
    20140812_180006.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 382
Nice bucks! Were you stalking solo holding the decoy in front of you or did you have some help holding the decoy? I only ask because I’m gonna be solo the majority of my outings. Just curious if it makes it difficult holding bow and decoy together.

I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on meth, so blinds aren't an option for me. All I do is spot and stalk. I've had pretty good luck just about every year. A white handkerchief is often a benefit, especially when they start rutting. Where I hunt is tall sage and cholla, so getting around is pretty easy, even for my big dumb ass. Flagging is pretty fun if you can get near a herd. Tie it to a branch and set out flanking the herd down wind and stalk in and usually the flag will keep their attention. I've gotten within 12 yards of a buck doing that. I've had shots from 12 to 73 yards spot and stalking. I have more non successful stalks than successful ones, but you get to learn the quirks and nuances of each herd you're on. One year I was on a P&Y buck for most of the season, but whenever I got within 80 yards the same doe blew me out every time. This went on for a couple of weeks, so eventually she ended up in my freezer with my e/s tag on her :cool:

I have the patience and attention span of a 3 year old on meth, so blinds aren't an option for me. All I do is spot and stalk. I've had pretty good luck just about every year. A white handkerchief is often a benefit, especially when they start rutting. Where I hunt is tall sage and cholla, so getting around is pretty easy, even for my big dumb ass. Flagging is pretty fun if you can get near a herd. Tie it to a branch and set out flanking the herd down wind and stalk in and usually the flag will keep their attention. I've gotten within 12 yards of a buck doing that. I've had shots from 12 to 73 yards spot and stalking. I have more non successful stalks than successful ones, but you get to learn the quirks and nuances of each herd you're on. One year I was on a P&Y buck for most of the season, but whenever I got within 80 yards the same doe blew me out every time. This went on for a couple of weeks, so eventually she ended up in my freezer with my e/s tag on her :cool:

I thought you attracted them with your sharp wit and amazing intelect.

I cannot imagine using a decoy. Seems like a huge PITA. I don't feel at all handicapped without one.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back