Garmin ?

SandyCreek

Hey guys looking at adding the Garmin In-Reach..its basically a must have to keep my wife sane since I'm solo tripping this year. My question is should i get the explorer or get the basic in-reach and a new upgraded GPS like the Montana? I don't trust my phone one bit as my primary source, since currently it has me gps fixed 4 miles from my current location lol. Anyway just was curious about some thoughts. I wasn't sure if the explorer version had a big enough screen or not. Thanks in advance

I have the old school Delorme inReach SE. It is perfectly functional for what you'd need. If memory serves me correctly then Garmin inReaches don't accept onXmaps chips, so you'd still need a stand alone GPS if you don't want to use your phone.

I like the idea of one unit but I do not really know the positive or negatives of having it in one besides just having one unit and that's it! I'm likely buying a in-reach to keep the wife happy as well.

I'm looking at getting an inreach as well... the reviews seem to suggest that the mapping is pretty crappy at best, I'm planning on using my phone with onxmaps and using the bluetooth connect feature on the garmin to supplement my phones GPS if needed. I might get the preloaded maps just so it's not a blank screen, but to be honest I'm looking at the inreach simply because it's really the only option on the market for satellite texting.

I use my inreach for texting and my old iphone with onx maps for my gps. I switched from Spot last year to Inreach and love it..the two way texting is a huge improvement.

I go with the unlimited plan on my inReach. I use mine year round because I often drive cross country and into places with no cell service, or will go fishing in places with no signal. It has saved my ass a few times when I've broken down out of cell coverage and was able to contact my wife via inReach for he to arrange help for me. I use the unlimited because I text my wife a lot and also my friends and family. Everyone wants a running play by play of my trips lol

So the $50 a month option? I was leaning towards the freedom and the 40 texts, but I can certainly see that it would be nice to be able to text all the time... I mean I don't have service most of the time driving up to go skiing on the weekends.

Anyone out there with zero interest of using a cell phone and Xmaps?

What the lowest garmin you'd go with to get a chip and run the inreach as well?

I have the Oregon with the chip and it is workable. No comparison to the app and my cellphone (as in not nearly as good), but it is workable. My Oregon is a few years old, so they may have improved since then.

Either my kid grabbed my Oregon and put it in a undisclosed location or I'm going to run into some ass clown this fall in my spots that stole my GPS. I'm very, very sad it's gone.

I was wondering if a garmin 20 or 30X would work?

I'm not anti technology I just know there isn't cell reception where I like to go, I'm not organized enough to save maps or keep that freaking phone battery charged all the time.

I played with the map on my phone a bit in SD this year and its pretty cool.

Last edited:

I have an etrex 20 and it works just fine if you don't mind the smaller screen and have to toggle things with a joystick thumb thingy, and it takes the onXmaps chip.

If I'm not mistaken the two are mutually exclusive. Satellite texting is only available on the garmin inreach, and the inreach does not have chip slot. If you want a good GPS and the ability to text you are buying two devices no matter what...

I think we will get there eventually but I think it will take garmin a few years to backward engineering the delorme hardware and source code and release a new device.

Dinkshooter,
I don't want to put you off by sounding pushy, but it really isn't that hard and you will thank yourself a hundred times over for going with the phone app. I would be more than willing to help you out and I am sure you could pay some teenager about $3 to load all the maps for ya (or I can walk you through that process as well)!

As for the charging, a simple accessory charger is all you need. Put you phone in airplane mode and away you go. Take the InReach as backup and you are sitting golden. Plus, if you have that accessory charger it will be one more thing to throw at the asshat who stole your GPS.

I been in Dinks shoes as of late. I like my Oregon 450t & xmapps & service has gotten so bad here I rarely carry my so called smartphone. I have all but basic cell service shut off or my phone drains just roaming.
Also I plead old fart, and really can't be bothered with gizmos....whats an app? LOL he says from his pc he can peck from & maybe use....
I need to find someone to load onx & sat stuff & splain in dummie how it sort of works. Bet I still have my maps out tho.

I really like my On X app on my phone, but i just worry it is not going to get a reliable fix on my position

I been in Dinks shoes as of late. I like my Oregon 450t & xmapps & service has gotten so bad here I rarely carry my so called smartphone. I have all but basic cell service shut off or my phone drains just roaming.

Agreed, you can turn everything off on your cell and it is still a battle. Add using your phone on the spotter and it really becomes a hassle hustling battery life. Yes, I have several chargers. I want AA batteries, plus I have many(minus Colorado now, sorry Spitz) chips on hand i don't want to replace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back