Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Gravity water filtration

netman

I’m thinking of buying a Sawyer gravity filtration system for my water needs this fall in Colorado. I’m dizzy from trying to decide which brand to buy as the choices are substantial. This will be for one person and maybe two. Mostly one.
Any thoughts,suggestions or input would be appreciated

A friend brought a mini-Sawyer two years ago and I was skeptical that a $20 filter could be so effective. Two days later, I was sold. We filtered water for 4 people and it was so much easier than my $90 pump (MSR) that I still thought maybe it was a scam. So I did a little research when I got home and found out it really is just as effective.

My only complaint is that sometimes, I don't know why, I will hang my unfiltered bag and there is zero flow. Maybe air pockets in the filter or something?

I have had the platypus gravity works for 2 years now and so far major complaints. One thing that can be a bit tricky is filling the bags in tiny streams and/or not churning up a lot of sediment when doing so, I typically just use my boiling cup to ladle water into the bag in these situations, it's definitely not ideal but isn't a deal breaker.... kinda sucked doing 9L of water at once.

If you've got ample water to fill the bag, they are amazing. I use a sawyer gravity filtration system as long as we have a place to fill water bags. If you're getting water from a seep or tiny spring, you'll spend more time filling a bag then you would if you would've pumped.

I think the gravity systems are amazing. The filtering is labor free once you take out the time of capturing the water.

I prefer the Platypus bags since they are easier to fill but have made my own system with the mini Sawyer, some Nalgene bags, and some various disconnects. I eventually got a great deal on the entire Platypus system so now I have both. If I go out in the field with the need to purify water (not a typical option in central NM) I would take one or the other depending on how much water I need. When going into the Gila in the summer for a week, I would take the 4L Platypus system and a separate mini filter as a backup.

For me, I prefer the Sawyer Mini. I pack 2, leave one at camp and take one with me. I think you can get a 2 pack at Walmart of the minis for $25 or so. I usually buy a new pack every other year or so. They need to be back flushed often, so take the flushing syringe with you. The larger ones have a little better flow rate, but seem to clog just as fast.

I have a 3' piece of rubber tubing on the outlet end, works well for hanging the filter bag and flowing into the clean bag. I'm not a fan of the quick connect systems. They can break, and get damaged with silt/dirt, and leak at times. Just have to be a little more careful with them.

The Platypus version works very well too, and seems to back flush easier. They cost quite a bit more though.

The pump style works well, in various conditions for sure. I usually don't have a problem finding ample water though, and go with the gravity type. I also pack 3 platypus 2L bags with me. Leave a full one in camp and take the dirty and clean one with you.

After messing around with that katadyn water filter last trip I will be following this thread closely. I hated that thing it plugged up and I was screwed. Thankfully I had a sawyer.

After messing around with that katadyn water filter last trip I will be following this thread closely. I hated that thing it plugged up and I was screwed. Thankfully I had a sawyer.

I use the Katadyn BeFree 1L when Im near water and only use gravity filters/bladders if I wont be around water for long periods as the BeFree is easy to fill with out all the fuss of gravity's. As for the filter clogging, this is common in all filters over time, you have to know how back flush. I use a Smart water bottle as my secondary water bottle at all times and the tip fits perfectly into the exit nozzle on the Befree or sawyer and you can use that to back flush or just bring a syringe.

Here is a great vid that shows the pitfalls of both Sawyers (and other similar filters like platypus are basically the same) and Katadyn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rujqQVW3kWU

I have used a Katadyn Hiker pump for years with no issues. I have been looking at the gravity feed for ease of use, but what has really got my attention is the Steripen. It sure looks like a time saver and you don't have to worry about it freezing.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but beware of using a filter if it is freezing at night. The filters are made of micro tubes to increase surface area for better flow. When they freeze and crack you are no longer filtering out the bad stuff. And you can't tell until you are pissing out your pooper. Steri pens are much more advisable for fall hunts up high.

I got no input here but good information from all of you. I've been looking into getting a gravity fed filter. I currently have a MSR pump but would like to swap to a gravity. Looks like I should consider a mini-Sawyer!

I was thinking about getting a cheap filter like this but the prospect of it freezing is specifically what has kept me. So far I use water purification tabs. Anyone have any problems with these?

I figure if I'm in a rural non wilderness area I won't drink the water no matter what I filter or cleanse with because I'm almost certain to be downstream if dozens of overflowing septic tanks. Public land areas are even worse because lazy morons from the campgrounds will dump their RVs in the river and hoards of backpackers do their jobs right next to the river and you always see the toilet paper flowing by in the streams.

But in the wilderness area all you have to do is kill the virus, bacteria, and protozoa correct? I'm honestly asking because I don't know much about this and the REI guy wants his commission on an expensive system when u ask him. Maybe I'll take a cheap filter and the purification tabs for redundancy.

I was thinking about getting a cheap filter like this but the prospect of it freezing is specifically what has kept me. So far I use water purification tabs. Anyone have any problems with these?

I figure if I'm in a rural non wilderness area I won't drink the water no matter what I filter or cleanse with because I'm almost certain to be downstream if dozens of overflowing septic tanks. Public land areas are even worse because lazy morons from the campgrounds will dump their RVs in the river and hoards of backpackers do their jobs right next to the river and you always see the toilet paper flowing by in the streams.

But in the wilderness area all you have to do is kill the virus, bacteria, and protozoa correct? I'm honestly asking because I don't know much about this and the REI guy wants his commission on an expensive system when u ask him. Maybe I'll take a cheap filter and the purification tabs for redundancy.

Honestly I have taken my platypus filter camping in 10-15 degree weather numerous times and never had a problem. You just need to make sure you get most of the water out of it (I typically give it a good shake and some times blow through it a bit, and then I toss it in the bottom of my sleeping bag at night.) Be careful with the tabs and do your research; consuming iodine for long periods of time isn't great for you (it's killing the good bacteria in your gut) and you have to use chlorine dioxide to kill crypto (which requires 4hrs to work). Crypto has been found in the wilderness area we hunt in CO, and after doing a bunch of research on the tabs (by this I mean me my wife who was doing her grad studies at the time in microbiology at the time read a bunch of papers and then proceeded to order a filter for me), I carry them as back up for it my filter breaks but I play it safe and use a filter.

Tabs are slow, but chlorine dioxide drops are fast (AquaMira). I've never warmed up to a gravity system for my needs but I can sure see the utility. I have used the "dip and sip" bottles for long U.L. hikes and love them for that.

I just started using the better 4 hour tabs. For 20 dollars maybe I'll get the gravity system for when I don't have four hours.

I've been doing backcountry travel for 20+ years. Water in northern MN needs to be filtered with all the beaver and other activity. We always used pumps. I've got an MSR sweetwater pump that works great. I switched to a Katadyn gravity filter when it came out, but the hiker filter cartridge always clogged so easy and wasn't really cleanable.
I converted the Katadyn Base Camp bag to use a Sawyer gravity filter and my pumping days were over. Now that I hunt out west, the water situation can be dicey and filling a bag of water to hang can take a long time, less time than it takes to pump.

As far as cold weather, its so simple to manage. If its going to be freezing, shake out the filter, place it in a ziplock and tuck it in the sleeping bag overnight or in your coat pocket if its during the day. The only time I let mine freeze is last fall when a storm moved in sooner than we thought and it froze overnight instead of staying warmer. I was lazy and figured it would be warm enough. If you're lazy, then it will freeze. Otherwise, a minute to prepare will keep your filter running great for years.

Now, we bring both. The gravity system is base camp water unless we know we have a good stream, but even then, one of us carries the pump so we can top off water bladders during the hike. Take 1 minute to pump 1 liter. It takes longer to deploy the pump than it does to fill up. Its still work though. Gravity is where its at for purifying 10L of water without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back