Not mine but HUGE!

What state Joey? Gorgeous bucks. mtmuley

Muley, Pretty sure, if shaky memories serves correct, those bucks were taken in Colorado back in the Day. Harry Rowell and his Foreman shown. Harry was a big Rancher in the hills between the East Bay Area and Pleasonton-Dublin area including the Rowell Ranch Rodeo Arena that was a going concern in my days down there and that Rodeo is still going today. That buck i held is the largest to date that i've ever laid hands on, freaking monster. That #3 buck might be even bigger, depends what a guy likes.

I was gonna ask about that third buck. Mass all over. Thanks for posting the pic. mtmuley

Yeah it's got tremendous mass, giant forks, and tall but it's probably only about 31-32" wide. lol

Here is a picture of my Grandfather with his Boys going out to get some deer meat on the Cardoza Ranch, Livermore Ca. Farthest in the back is my dad Paul holding the old 410, then going forward, one year older, is Uncle Eddie with the octagon barreled 22 pump, then another year older and the driver is Uncle George Jr aiming grandpa's 30-30 carbine with my Grandmothers brother Uncle Joe filling out the front seat. I hunted with all those guns and all those guys on that Ranch as a kid well into my 30's. Listening closely to them and their hunting friends about anything hunting is what got me hooked early on being the best hunter that i could be. Don't know the exact year of the Pic but I'll soon be 65.

cardoza boys.jpg

Last edited:
6mm, they really are something. We've all seen plenty of big ones in the various hunting pages but i can't say that i've ever seen 4 bucks from one hunt taken as big as those 4 bruisers. Each is a monster in it's own way.

mtmander, i really like your "It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." True words of wisdom!

I have some other old pic's that i can share and being we are here now, here is one from the early 1980's. He's my first 30" Muley... and being i'm not quite done yet, he may be my only 30" muley.lol

my 31 inch Nev buck.jpg

Last edited:
A packer took us and all our own gear to a campsite my pard had scouted years before, up top of Wy "H" on a 18 day hunt. About noon opening day, he gave me little time to judge but what i saw was enough to let fly from a solid rest, 360 yds with my custom barreled 280AI. Dumped his ass i did but i didn't for sure know what i had killed, only that from the side i had seen nice points and that he looked even. So my Pard who's up top of the mountain i took this buck on, scrambles over the rock slide face, see's me, and asks what i shot at?

I told him what i knew and where the buck was knowing that he was going to beat me to my deer. As he descended the slides and sidehilling, he's telling me that i had just killed a monster, bigger than anything he's got at his house which is very impressive indeed. All the way to my buck he's going on and on about how he saw the buck at daylight but the buck only had to take a few steps into the only small brushy timber patch on that big rock slide infested mountain, and that he didn't get a clear shot so left him be. "He's Huge Joey, you're not going to believe how big he is". He still hadn't got to my buck yet but his words were taking a toll on me, each of them filling me with joy. All the sudden, his comments caused my knees to almost give out entirely. "I finally did it!", i remember telling myself.

Then he gets to my Buck and says,.. "never mind Joey, this ain't the same Buck!". "Sonofabitch!" Oh well, he was a nice buck and i was happy to have him go home with me. lol

my 1996 28 inch wy H buck with richs.jpg

My pard hunted before daylight getting back to camp way after dark every day the rest of the trip. He passed some nice younger bucks but found nothing he liked, finally took a big bodied buck with twisted small antlers for the meat on our last full day.

Last edited:
MTTW, yeah that is a long time to get someone else to dedicate for one hunt. We made 3 great Wy trips in 15 years, long planned and well waited for so we tried to make the most of them by giving ourselves plenty of time. Also, once the tags and fuel to get there and back is considered, extra days out on the actual hunt are cheap in comparison. Especially these passed 20 years or so, i like to give the good hunts that i draw the time that they deserve. Even a antelope hunt, 4 of them i believe, they all get at least a week minimum. To me, the killing isn't that much fun, fairly easy actually, it's looking for one that i want, the hunt, that i like so much. My Pard, same-same, he's been the best Pard a guy could ask for, i'm thankful that we've been such good Friends and hunting Partners for so long.

This old buck let me sneak up on him from a mile or more away, his mistake, and i was thankful as i had hunted hard but found no monsters that trip. Last day of the season, another long and hard hunt, good times. I'm in my 30's here,.. back in the day.

my7x5buck.jpg

I'm showing here some of my better muley bucks taken but i want to say that i was raised on Blacktail, started hunting them at 10 years and several years after that, i felt it my job to kill the biggest buck on our mountain range. I've taken a good bunch, again no monsters, but lots and lots of blacktail bucks that were the best taken by anybody from the country i had to hunt. another muley? why not?

This was a Ruby Mountain Buck that once i shot, a guide with horse back clients soon showed up wanting to know how the heck i got back where i was? It turned out that he knew of me and my family and then i think that he understood why or how i was so far back in on foot, this back before the backpack craze that so many guys do these days. His main frame is decent but the cheaters, couple aren't seen, did the trick.

my ruby mtn 8x6.jpg

Muley, Pretty sure, if shaky memories serves correct, those bucks were taken in Colorado back in the Day. Harry Rowell and his Foreman shown. Harry was a big Rancher in the hills between the East Bay Area and Pleasonton-Dublin area including the Rowell Ranch Rodeo Arena that was a going concern in my days down there and that Rodeo is still going today. That buck i held is the largest to date that i've ever laid hands on, freaking monster. That #3 buck might be even bigger, depends what a guy likes.

Those are some awesome bucks for sure. I do love seeing those pics from way back. I remembered seeing the same pic in the 1995 edition of the Nevada Wildlife Record Book. It says the bucks were taken in the Elko NV area but perhaps they got it wrong.
Maybe this will jog your memory.

The caption says, shot in the Jack Creek area in 1943 by Californian Harry Raul, center, who was a regular visitor to the area in the 1940's. Raul was hooked on the area after seeing some of the trophies bagged by Vincente Bilbao, as he hauled the bucks through Elko in his pick-up.

DSCN0838.jpg

GR8, That is some great background info on the mystery of these great Bucks. No Doubt the picture is of Harry Rowell of the Rowell Rodeo but They sure could have been shot in Nevada by someone else. I'm glad and thankful that you found the additional photo's, i think it further puts the second buck and the one i'm holding as the very same deer which was remarkable considering the years between the picture of those deer when taken and the 80's when i'm holding that rack. Thanks again!

edit:This is some info i found years ago, did say Nevada. Blog site is owned by Rich Fletcher MDF, a good friend in my home town.

"Here’s a photo of Harry Rowell and and another fellow. This other fellow has been called Johnny horsekiller by some of the locals. I don’t have the story to go with the name.The photo speaks for itself. Harry Rowell and hunting partner Johnny. From what I’ve been told, these deer were killed in Nevada. Any of them would win the local big buck contest these days.The Rowell Ranch, or at least what we know of it, bordered property we now own in Southern Alameda County. The Rowell Ranch Rodeo, which takes place near Palomaris Canyon is named after him."

https://hunterlandowner.wordpress.com/2011/01/

Last edited:
Thanks noharleyyet, just a few words and pics from a old wore out buck hunter. If i had ever put into my work, the efforts and time that i have put into hunting and the outdoors, think i may have been a whole lot better off now than i am. But it is what it is. I guess...

As an aside, I was just looking at that old pic of my Dad's side of the Family. Uncle George there aiming his rifle, while he was in the service, he was assigned to a shooting team that traveled around to various shoots. He brought back to the Ranch with him several of his shooting irons, cases of US Ball ammo that we kids could use and never did run out of, and a big shadow box full of the medals he had won from a bunch of competitions. The Army badly wanted him to reenlist so he could shoot for the USA in the coming Olympics but he turned them down to get back to the Ranch and Partner up with Grandpa in the farming and Cow-Calf operation that got much bigger as the years went on.

My Dad's younger brother Uncle Russ, near my age, he wasn't born yet in the pic, he had a son also named Russ or Russell. Some of you may be familiar with, Russell Cardoza, if you are into Rodeo. Young Russell wasn't the first of the Family to do well in that line of work but he's making a good living for himself as a Team Roping Heeler and All-Around Cowboy these days. All of us was raised on the same Ranch, a lot of hard work but how nice that was...

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back