Caribou Gear

2018 Colorado Turkey Thread

Feathers are so white on that one!

A buddy of mine is planning a quick Friday morning hunt, so I may go try to roost some on Thursday. Watching a friends puppy this week might keep me home though.

Haven't heard anything from dad, so I'm guessing he hasn't found any.

A different bud is hunting river bottom private land, but apparently the farmer advertised his deal and this year there were half a dozen people hunting the same property. Hah!

My dad killed this bird in southern Colorado Saturday. We got on them Wednesday on the roost and they were gobbling all week this one finally made a fatal mistake...we are off to Kansas to try and get a Rio for his grand slam this year

Beautiful Bird there! Best of luck to your dad on the slam!

Curious - did he plunk down for a private land Osceola or go through the special WMA draw? I've been putting in, but beyond the odds being bad, the whole draw process in Florida is baffling (and non-intuitive).

Cedahm I swear those rampart birds cover ground like no ones business, I think there is a decent sized flock but if a biologist said they were moving as much as 20 miles in a couple of days it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Beautiful Bird there! Best of luck to your dad on the slam!

Curious - did he plunk down for a private land Osceola or go through the special WMA draw? I've been putting in, but beyond the odds being bad, the whole draw process in Florida is baffling (and non-intuitive).

It was public land ....not hard to draw at all. Matter of fact I picked up a leftover tag for the last week of the season. The management area we hunted we have hunted for years and years. It has a little different regs but the draws are pretty much guaranteed. If you aren't drawing a tag in Florida at least every other year you're trying to hard. Heck a lot of mgmt areas aren't even draw after the first week.

It was public land ....not hard to draw at all. Matter of fact I picked up a leftover tag for the last week of the season. The management area we hunted we have hunted for years and years. It has a little different regs but the draws are pretty much guaranteed. If you aren't drawing a tag in Florida at least every other year you're trying to hard. Heck a lot of mgmt areas aren't even draw after the first week.

I am definitely doing it wrong. I didn't put in this year due to other commitments (and a touch of 'oh sh*t, I forgot'), but would love to get some insights from you when the 2019 application period opens up.

Unfortunately this happened this morning...little back story ...last time I went I took a pretty good spill on the mountain breaking my front sight...I put a new one on but it had a lower profile than the original ( my thought was that if I fell again it was less likely to break) well I didnt think where it would put my shot... overshot this bird twice
https://youtu.be/pTY9TZn_GBM

Cliff, you're working way to hard for turkeys... Oh, good luck in KS. Can't wait for the notification on youtube!

Filled my tag last night.

IMG_5430.jpg

Blasted into the hills last night for a couple hours to see if I could find a bird to roost for my friend. Covered about 4 miles and 1400ft of elevation in the spot I went with him a couple weeks ago, but no such luck getting a response to my crow calls.

He's in there this morning anyway, since there are limited places to go before work.

Buddy didn't find any birds Friday morning.

Dad finally found some turkeys, but he wasn't hunting at the time, and now he's headed away on vacation.

Probably a wrap for me and turkeys this year. Broke out the canoe for this weekend.

I'm taking this week off family coming to town Tuesday for my daughters graduation. So maybe the turkeys will dream of me too. HA

My 12 year old's school finished early for summer break, so we grabbed him a tag and went to the turkey hills this morning.

This tom came in hot and bothered. He passed my son at 8 yards with a bush in between.....I was 50 yards away watching.......waiting for the shot. My son swung the barrel, and the turkey scooted out the back door.

I was at the back door. Probably could have filled my tag with a tennis racquet.

He was a good sport, he appreciates the virtues of packing out small game, and is ready to try again after a nap.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is from a couple weeks ago with my Dad in Southern Colorado. This was the first morning ever turkey hunting the area. we were close to 3 miles in when my Dad said he had enough walking and told me to go on and listen for birds...I wasn't 100 yards from him when this bird sounded off about 1/2 mile up the canyon...exciting next couple hours

https://youtu.be/ZuNGkrSVW10

This is from a couple weeks ago with my Dad in Southern Colorado. This was the first morning ever turkey hunting the area. we were close to 3 miles in when my Dad said he had enough walking and told me to go on and listen for birds...I wasn't 100 yards from him when this bird sounded off about 1/2 mile up the canyon...exciting next couple hours

https://youtu.be/ZuNGkrSVW10

Man. Tough luck but exciting! I couldn't make out what you guys were whispering, but assume there was no way to curl around that tree for a shot?

That was just camera angle...I could see the bird just fine and my dad (the 1 with the gun) was about 5ft a little lower than me could see it even better. In the end I think he just got caught up in everything working out just like he had it in his head so when the bird did an about face he wasn't prepared to lower the boom

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back