Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

2018 Colorado Turkey Thread

vanish

Everyone feel free to chip in. Can't let Montana have all the glory.

The weather forecast kept Fire tiger in bed, but I climbed the mouton anyway. It was very busy with other hunters, so I decided to scout some new territory. After an additional 2 mile hike, I found the canyon I was looking for. It didn't look to promising, so I sat down for a nap.

I wasn't sitting for 5 minutes when I heard a faint sound. A couple clicks on my call confirmed, it was a gobble. I cut off 100 yards and made contact again. 30 yards more and I could tell I was within 50.

I quickly set up, but was caught off guard as 3 Jakes flew in to me a mere 5 yards to my left. I couldn't shoot, so I let them walk by, turned around, and called them back. Finally, one became uncomfortable and I used that opportunity to shoot the closest

2018 Colorado front range, public land, OTC turkey

20180414_090622.jpg

WTG! You turned lemons into lemonade.

Maybe its just the way it is laying, but your shotgun looks like it has a loooong barrel.

A Front Range Public land Jake is basically a 330" bull elk. Awesome!

As I said in the other thread - I'm headed down to SE CO next Thursday. 3rd time hunting this particular place (I had the tag 5 years ago, last year my buddy had it, this year his wife does, too). Aiming to take the stick and string out Friday and switch to the shotgun if that falls through, but now the weather forecast has changed to rain and wind, so I may abandon the archery idea. After last seasons grouse-a-thon on the last day of archery elk, I'm damn near out of decent arrows anyway :)

Congrats again, Vanish!

WTG! You turned lemons into lemonade.

Maybe its just the way it is laying, but your shotgun looks like it has a loooong barrel.

Thanks kansasdad!

You're right, it is a long barrel. The gun was originally my grandfather's. Its an Ithaca model 37 featherlight with the 30 inch vent rib barrel and integrated full choke. Not the best for lugging around the mountains, but I wouldn't use any other gun. My bow maybe, but definitely no other gun. :)

A Front Range Public land Jake is basically a 330" bull elk. Awesome!

As I said in the other thread - I'm headed down to SE CO next Thursday. 3rd time hunting this particular place (I had the tag 5 years ago, last year my buddy had it, this year his wife does, too). Aiming to take the stick and string out Friday and switch to the shotgun if that falls through, but now the weather forecast has changed to rain and wind, so I may abandon the archery idea. After last seasons grouse-a-thon on the last day of archery elk, I'm damn near out of decent arrows anyway :)

Thanks cedahm! Good luck down there. Next year I should have a draw tag, as well, but probably out East.

After being successful for the first time last year, I almost tried archery this year. I didn't have the balls to do it with the 50mph wind gust forecast. It ended up turning pretty nice by mid-morning. I called them in right around 9am, without hearing a peep before that.

Firetiger still has a tag and she wants to shoot one bigger than mine, which I made easier this year :D. I'm hoping the birds move a bit closer, like where we found them last year, so she can have a few chances.

Congrats on the bird Vanish. I roosted a couple last weds. scouting then ran into a flock in another spot on thurs. I work weekends so can’t try to find them again while carrying a gun until this coming weds. I hope they’re still in the area, but I have no idea how much pressure these spots receive my first year at both. First year really chasing them but I’m loving it already!!

Colorado Rio

Jake or no jake? 1" spurs, 1" beard and a small tail fan....called in from about 600 yards after an hour or so. got some decent video but managed to video a tree for the kill shot..

Attachments

• 20180415_142154.jpg
    20180415_142154.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 495
  • 20180415_143225.jpg
    20180415_143225.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Sweet two year old tom.

Really cool when you can see them coming from a long ways away, and you know that you are the cause of his movements towards you.

@Mudranger1 - Congrats! That's a long ways.

@Zach - That sure looks like a lot easier spot to get to than where I went. :D

I've never made it back that far but cpw says they are at the north end 7 miles from the parking lot

I took the dog for a walk last night. "Just happened" to roost two different gobblers.

My wife committed to the 4am wake up. By 5:45 we were sitting 60 yards uphill of the big boy, who was gobbling his brains out well before we arrived. He continued gobbling non-stop until 6:30, and then shut right up. I don't know if he spotted us or what, but he finally flew downhill at 7:00am. He crossed off public land. We went for plan B, towards where I had roosted the other tom.

As we neared his roost, a real crow gave him away in the meadow ahead. A slight rise between us was perfect, and we set up less than 50 yards from him. A single set of yelps had him strutting at 30, but there was no shot. I gave a couple light clucks and let it sit. A few minutes later he gave FireTiger a perfect 15 yard shot.

This is her first turkey, and its mature mountain merriams on public land to boot!

uc

uc

uc

This season was too short. I think I'm going to have to find a way to slip over to the West slope and help my dad get his first CO bird.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back