Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

California Blacktail in July

I grew up in A Zone and shot a few blacktails. Unless you are within about a mile of the ocean it's going to be very hot, I promise...some beautiful country there though!

On the restricted tag thing. Restricted tags are still OTC, but you can only have 1. Example, down here in Southern Cali, D14 and D16 are restricted zones. I can go to Big 5 around the corner and buy either one of those tags right now as my first or second tag and then add a D15 tag for a second. You CANNOT buy two restricted tags, so no tags for D14 and D16 in the same season.

On the restricted tag thing. Restricted tags are still OTC, but you can only have 1. Example, down here in Southern Cali, D14 and D16 are restricted zones. I can go to Big 5 around the corner and buy either one of those tags right now as my first or second tag and then add a D15 tag for a second. You CANNOT buy two restricted tags, so no tags for D14 and D16 in the same season.

I think you are correct, but a loop around that for the archery hunter is to buy an AO tag, valid during any open season except for C and X zones I believe, and maybe some D Zones. Then you can buy your other tag and still be able to rifle hunt one of those zones if you want. I definitely recommend coming in August and getting in the high country wilderness, much more enjoyable experience IMO. Find the right areas and you can find some big deer, public land, OTC hunts. IMG_3873.jpgIMG_3869.jpg Heres a couple ill be chasing again in August/September on an OTC hunt.

The king range is the only real public land in B4. Hunt right on the ocean at the mouth of the Mattole river. Very remote and no tourist stuff for the rest of the family in the area while you hunt. A zone is July and super hot 90 degrees plus. All the public land you would likely hunt is relatively far from the things the rest of the family would want to do. Snow Mtn, Cache creek, Knoxville Wildlife area, Ventana wilderness. Nobody mentioned ticks yet either. lots and lots of ticks. They don't scare me but others freak out. Ive been bitten 5 times; they do make you think there are bugs crawling all over you once you find one though, they are creepy.
You can always get an A zone tag. If you want B zone apply for it in the regular drawing in June. You will get it but don't wait for left overs, they wont be there
Cheers

Nobody mentioned ticks yet either. lots and lots of ticks. They don't scare me but others freak out. Ive been bitten 5 times; they do make you think there are bugs crawling all over you once you find one though, they are creepy.

Treat your clothes with lots of Permethrin and you won't have any tick problems.

License and tags went on sale today, you can buy a B tag today if you want. I would suspect it will likely sell out sometime in the July time frame again this year. Many CA hunters are very confused as to why our tag change from unrestricted, to restricted, to premium. It is simply a supply and demand issue, "if all the tags sell by X date, then they become restricted or premium, if they don't then they become unrestricted.

Restricted tags are not draw tags and are available anytime so long as you do not have a draw pending for premium tag or have been issued a premium tag.

So, is it better to not put in for a premium draw tag and first try and buy the units you want and then buy a lottery ticket? Sorry if the question is odd. This will be my first year applying (as I'm a bird hunter venturing out for 4 legs and it's all new to me). 1st tag, 2nd tag, which zones to pick, where to go. I'm very confused. I'm in OC and want to stay in the D's for this first foray. Thanks for any help!

Tim,
I'm from N. OC and this will be my first time applying. I'm thinking of trying to draw D17 and try the ranges out in the preserve. Total noob to this. Do you have any suggestions or how I should go about either doing OTC or draw or try both? I have a youth hunter to throw in the mix too. Thanks for any So.Cal info.

So, is it better to not put in for a premium draw tag and first try and buy the units you want and then buy a lottery ticket? Sorry if the question is odd. This will be my first year applying (as I'm a bird hunter venturing out for 4 legs and it's all new to me). 1st tag, 2nd tag, which zones to pick, where to go. I'm very confused. I'm in OC and want to stay in the D's for this first foray. Thanks for any help!

I'm of the philosophy that if there is a snowballs chance in hell in the random draw for the highest of high demand tags, put in for it first choice as opposed to PD.

Here's an example for the G3 tag last year

There were 4,142 applicants for 25 tags, or more specifically 2 tags for 4,119 applicants as there are 23 tags in preference point pool. Your odds, 0.05%....like bighorn odds. But, there are 2 random tags, so if you just want a point go for an option like this because you'll get the point, and if by the off chance you don't get that point, you just won the lottery in terms of tags and now you have a very welcome problem to figure out your schedule.

HuntCA

How old is the youth hunter? I'd recommend apply them for the youth hunts. Some great tags there.

If you applying for the draw an adult must do so on your 1st tag. Also to draw D17 it will need to be your first choice. I would find a unit for your 2nd choice also as D17 isn't a guarantee draw on first choice.

HuntCA

How old is the youth hunter? I'd recommend apply them for the youth hunts. Some great tags there.

If you applying for the draw an adult must do so on your 1st tag. Also to draw D17 it will need to be your first choice. I would find a unit for your 2nd choice also as D17 isn't a guarantee draw on first choice.

My son is currently 17(we are starting late I know) will be 18 on Oct. 31. DFW said today he is still a youth so can apply for the apprentice hunts/share hunts too.

So, I will need to choose D17 for my first and his first? Thanks for all the hand holding. Bird hunting is so easy compared to all this ;-)

If you both want to hunt D17 then yes both of you should put D17 first choice on your first deer tag. Your son can still apply for the junior tag but you will have to purchase a second deer tag application for that.

Back