Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Generator or new cooler

Have you even considered how much power you use and how much power you need? A small 400 watt inverter connected to your batteries should run everything but the coffee pot. A big buddy heater will heat you out of that trailer and condensation should be easy to minimize with a roof vent.

If you're set on a genny, a buddy of mine has the Predator 2k from Harbor Freight and it works great. I also have talked to several people on RV forums that are using the 3500 and have had great results so far.

Have you even considered how much power you use and how much power you need? A small 400 watt inverter connected to your batteries should run everything but the coffee pot. A big buddy heater will heat you out of that trailer and condensation should be easy to minimize with a roof vent.

If you're set on a genny, a buddy of mine has the Predator 2k from Harbor Freight and it works great. I also have talked to several people on RV forums that are using the 3500 and have had great results so far.

I have a big buddy heater and we used it last year one day. With only one side on low in 20 degree outside weather with both roof vents open about an inch it sweated us out. In the morning everything felt damp to the touch. This year we will be hunting in The end of September so a heater isn’t as big as a concern as keeping clothes and boots dry if we get inclement weather.

Pretty much agree with everyone if you can afford the Honda that is the way to go wont be disappointed. I have a 3000 watt little heavy but can get in and out of truck myself. very quite on eco mode even at full throttle much quieter then other brands i have had in the past. we run it all night and only use about 2 gallons of fuel. Keep an eye on craigslist or other local classifieds I ended up getting into mine for about $800. Good luck! I like your trailer we had a very similar set up but out grew it when started having more friends wanted to come with.

Thanks, out growing it is easy to do. We were concerned about that when we bought and built it. We have 2 kids and if they go we can’t fit and will need to tent it. However, for me and a guest it works well.

Get a french press, a cooler, and enjoy the silence.

I agree. We have a camper and genni set up for summer camping in Midwest summers but when we head west all that stuff stays at home.

Nothing like a cup of coffee out of the press on a mountain morning to get you going.

Also, while I do own one of the "cool" coolers it's not really needed in the mountains in the fall, IMO. Every year I pull out the giant Coleman that I bought at wally world for 60 bucks and load it up. Precool everything in the fridge before loading, a few frozen milk jugs and then loose ice to fill the voids around food and drink and a tray to keep certain things dry. I still always have some ice in jugs when I get back home.

I'm using the good old Toyota corolla as my hunting rig for the last 5 years and am therefore stuck with coolers. I typically bring a coleman 120 empty for meat, a coleman 60 with food and some block ice and then a yeti 65 with a 10lb block of dry ice and then maxed out with mobile oil jugs filed with ice (they are more rectangular so they stack better and you can wedge more into a cooler). I typically only open the yeti 3-4 times a trip to add ice to the coleman as needed and then to fill the 120 with ice once I get something down. I've done a 10 day hunt and had rock hard ice jugs on the last day.

Also agree with above, get a french press.

I have the champion invertor generator 2000 Watt 2 of them actually. They work great and are quiet. Half the price of a honda.

I have the champion invertor generator 2000 Watt 2 of them actually. They work great and are quiet. Half the price of a honda.

What elevation have you been using the Champion? In reading the reviews the few reviews that are negative have to do with them operating poorly at the higher elevations. After my research, I've been planning on buying the Champion 3100 but some of the elevation reviews have me hesitant now.

What elevation have you been using the Champion? In reading the reviews the few reviews that are negative have to do with them operating poorly at the higher elevations. After my research, I've been planning on buying the Champion 3100 but some of the elevation reviews have me hesitant now.

I just read the HB Predator 2000 manual and it has the same issue. For those of you with the Honda do you have any issues with elevation? Cold temps?

Last edited:
I purchased a new 2000 watt generator last year. We were in a bind and needed one immediately so I bought a Polaris. Couldn't find a Honda that day. The Polaris has been great so far.
Reading the owners manual it states that as you gain elevation you loose some performance. I was camping at 6000' and had no issues with it loosing 20% of it's power. My buddy has another brand that is 1600 watts. At sea level it runs his microwave just fine. Ay 6000' not too good. All engines loose power at higher elevations you just don't notice it in your other engines. If your Honda will barely get you by at sea level then you are going to have issues ay high elevation. In my case the 2000 watt is really bigger than I need for camping so I don't worry about it.

Last edited:
Ive used the Hondas in the past, if I ever need to buy a portable one, it will be them hands down.

I have the Orion 4k attached to my camper... it sometimes works...

Devils advocate here now:
If you are looking at this solely to use to run a fridge/coffee pot... might want to re-think the hunting game. You can get a couple nice coolers for the cost of the Honda's. Lets say you get a deal on a new Honda genny, that's like 899, least in Utah. That's 2 awesome coolers. Pack one with nothing but ice/frozen milk jugs etc. Then swap that in to the other to keep food/drink cool. Not to mention the coolers don't require maintenance to the extent the generator will.

That is what I do. I dedicate one Yeti for nothing but frozen milk jubs.

Do you think you will ever hunt out of a backpack, or are you going to always be coming back to camp at night? By this I mean year into the future as well.

I like coolers because I can ice down meat and head back in, and don't have to worry about feeding a generator. I am not sure I would own really nice coolers, if I didn't hunt out of state, and want the freedom to head back in after killing one animal, and not have to spend the rest of the hunt tending meat from base camp.

If you go generator now, and decide to backpack hunt next year, you might be buying the coolers anyway.

Do you think you will ever hunt out of a backpack, or are you going to always be coming back to camp at night? By this I mean year into the future as well.

I like coolers because I can ice down meat and head back in, and don't have to worry about feeding a generator. I am not sure I would own really nice coolers, if I didn't hunt out of state, and want the freedom to head back in after killing one animal, and not have to spend the rest of the hunt tending meat from base camp.

If you go generator now, and decide to backpack hunt next year, you might be buying the coolers anyway.

So far I have found myself to be a Day hiker verses backpacker. Although last year I found a spot where backpacking was advantageous due to the hard hike in. I would like to explore that more in the future but as for now it Day packing.

You will not be disappointed with the Honda 2000i. I have one and left fuel in it for a year+ without running it. It wouldn't start a couple of days ago, today I remove the carburetor and gave it a much needed cleaning to remove "varnish" and clear the jets. Reassembled and it started right up. Thank you youtube :)

New calendar entry >>> Remove old gas from carburetor before extended storage.

Be Safe,

Cabelas has a champion 3100 inverter gen.on sale for $719. Tops the list for rv use.(for the money). That way if yiu ever install a 13,500 a/c you are good to go. I bought the same model but it has a remote start.

Cabelas has a champion 3100 inverter gen.on sale for $719. Tops the list for rv use.(for the money). That way if yiu ever install a 13,500 a/c you are good to go. I bought the same model but it has a remote start.

Honda is the top of the line name, but I have enjoyed my Champion 2KW for much cheaper. A buddy of mine does work on residential and industrial generators, and I bought it off his recommendation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back