Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Schnees? Crispi? Kenetrek?

Anyways, back on topic...go try on each and see what feels best on your feet.

Like the OP, us east-siders have a hard time doing this sometimes. Does anyone know of a place in the midwest that stocks all of these brands so they can be tried on in person?

Try REI or Cabellas ,Sportsmans or Bass Pro. Hiking & H&F shops are around I would think. Some brands are hard to find outside of the area they sell most. I sometimes even purchase it there when I find one that fits & works,even if it costs me $20 more. Other times I find them a lot less than suggested $....I'm in NM,there is little or no choice here really.lol
Oh,know what size & configuration your foot IS REALLY. These boots are not sneakers........get your foot measured. Be suprised how your feet change over time too.

Last edited:
Carnage and JLS, glad I am not alone on comments like that of pabear. I hate hearing this boot, pack, tent, etc.... is the best. Compared to what. There might be a case if you at least let us know what they are being compared to.

I've had three pairs of Kenetrek (just sold a pair for $50). I wore one pair for several years every day for work and to the field. Great durability and comfort, but when I took them up the mountain with a pack on, blisters every time. Next I went with Lowa Hunters which I loved and were my mountain boot for a few years. Two or three years ago, I found a good deal on Scarpa Triolets and that is the boot that is currently on my foot every day. Like Gerald, and I am guessing many others here, I started with lesser quality of boot and have gradually evolved.

If you had asked me the question 25 years ago, I would have said Danner was the best boot, but that would be based on my experience pool of one.

My foot;
Kenetrek - durable boot, just not comfortable when on the mountain
Lowa Hunter - Great cold weather boot
Scarpa Triolet - My current favorite boot
Danner - Crap
Asolo - It was OK, but I don't recall the model
Crispi - No experience
Zamberlan - No experience

I just included the last two since they would be boots I would look at if I were shopping.
Sad thing, I still have the Danners in my closet.

Hey Miller, how stiff are the Scarpa soles? I've had my Lowa Tibets for four years now and they're finally starting to wear out right where the rand meets the leather at the flex point near the toes. My feet are starting to get wet and I'm thinking it's time for new boots before fall. Seems like this is the location where all of my boots end up wearing out, which sucks because the rest of the boot usually is in really good shape still. Anyways, I need a real stiff sole, so I end up buying a full leather backpacking style boot.

Still looking for the perfect boot...

Triolet is very stiff. I had to look back and I purchased these boots 2/2016. Since then, I have worn them nearly every day. Rand is still in great shape, but the tread is getting pretty shallow. A little bummed that the Triolet is no longer available on promotive, as I would buy another pair in an instant. Luckily, I still have lots of life left in this pair.

I also had issues with the rand on my Lowas, but it was only cosmetic and didn't seem to affect the performance.

My Schnees blew out at the same spot on both boots after a couple years....took them into the store to see if there was anything they could do and all I can say is I'm never going back to Schnees again.

I kind of skimmed all the comments, but I didn't see anyone mention weight. I posted a link previously that says 1 pound of boot is roughly equal to 5 pounds in your backpack because you have to lift that boot every step. So, as always, it depends. If you are mostly stand hunting, weight is not much of a factor. If you plan to hike several miles up steep terrain, then every ounce matters. I tend to do more of the latter and that's why I won't even consider the heavy boots like Kenetrek. I would rather have lightweight boots that I throw away after a year or two, rather than a really nice pair that limits how far I can go each day. Of course, I almost exclusively hunt in the dry Rocky Mountain West and mostly early season (archery), so I don't need much protection from wet and cold.

I am on my 4th or 5th pair of these (so I probably could have bought one pair of Kenetreks by now): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VX1BZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered Crispi Wyoming’s. Have had quite a few brands before these. I’ll let you know how they work out for me.

Bought the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and spent the summer breaking them in.
These have a very high heel which feels a bit weird for a non cowboy boot wearing flatlander.
I will say with no reservations that these boots protected my feet and kept me from breaking my ankle on football sized boulders in Arizona on a weeklong hunt.

10Dogs

Saw one opinion on the Cabela's Meindl's. Any others? How about anyone using the Under Armour Brow Tines?

I kind of skimmed all the comments, but I didn't see anyone mention weight. I posted a link previously that says 1 pound of boot is roughly equal to 5 pounds in your backpack because you have to lift that boot every step. So, as always, it depends. If you are mostly stand hunting, weight is not much of a factor. If you plan to hike several miles up steep terrain, then every ounce matters. I tend to do more of the latter and that's why I won't even consider the heavy boots like Kenetrek. I would rather have lightweight boots that I throw away after a year or two, rather than a really nice pair that limits how far I can go each day. Of course, I almost exclusively hunt in the dry Rocky Mountain West and mostly early season (archery), so I don't need much protection from wet and cold.

I am on my 4th or 5th pair of these (so I probably could have bought one pair of Kenetreks by now): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VX1BZO/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There is a fine line between light and too light. Saving ounces doesn’t help if you skimp on foot protection.

Definitely try them on first. I always wanted a pair of Kenetreks. Last year went to buy a pair and after wearing them in the store for 5 minutes I knew for sure they wouldnt do. Ive still yet to find a pair of boots that were as comgortable as my Columbias. They do wear out pretty quick tho

You do raise a good point, I have a pair of Vasque Breeze boots for pronghorn, 'aspen elk', and hiking trails. That said there are a ton of elk hunts I wouldn't take those boots on and I wouldn't pack out with a super heavy load because of the limited ankle support.

I demolished the rand on my schnee's the first year out and am on my third round of shoe goo, I was looking at the la sportiva Nepal on promotive, anyone tried these on?

One brand I don't see mentioned much is Salewa.
I've had the Mountain Trainer Mid for the past 5 years and really like them.
It is on the lighter sides, but I haven't found myself wanting more boot.
Good fit out of the box that got better with use.

They’re all good boots it just depends on what fits your feet.

Kenetrek kill me. I can’t wear them. Schnees i don’t even need to break in

I know Crispi is very high quality. I’ve never owned a pair myself.

Im really liking my Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I haven't hunted in them yet, but by my guesstimation i have between 40-50 miles in them so they are just getting broken in. They are by far the most comfortable boot i've owned(albeit this is my first true hunting boot). I did have some issues in the beginning with heel slip but i found a modified way to tie them and for the last 30 miles or so they have been great.

Crispi Wyoming and Lowa Tibet Superwarm for me.

I have some Kenetrek Bridger Ridge that fell apart and lost their waterproofness in only a year. I know they aren't built as well as their mountain boots, but it really turned me off to the brand.

I've had the NI Kenetrek Mountain Extremes for about 6 years and they have been great. Last year I wanted something a little lighter and cooler for early archery so I bought the Crispi Idaho's. They are have worked out really well for me also. Now I wear the Crispi's until it snows and then switch to the Kenetrek's. I tried some Salomon Quest 4Ds and hated them. They killed my feet.

As others have said, you need to find the one that fits you best.

There's a lot of good boots out there. I personally have Crispi and Zamberlan. The Crispi Idaho comfortable out of the box. The Zamberlans need a little break in. Like the one poster said best if you can try them on first. You definitely don't want to have sore feet because of an ill fitting pair of boots.

To echo Gomer - The high-end boots are generally well made but each is made on a slightly different last (foot model). Finding one where the last matches your foot is probably the most important issue.

If the boot fits...

I use Lowa Renegades for hiking and Cabela's Meindl (Alaskans?) for hunting. Have had good experience with both, but in my experience the Meindls work best when they are a bit snug.

Back