Schnees? Crispi? Kenetrek?

SFN2821

Looking to get some insights to people experiences with each of these. Realizing it's all based on the individual but hoping to at least narrow it down to TWO companies haha. I'm predominantly an east coast hunter at the moment but with the intention of heading west next year. Hoping to find something that is versatile in a number of conditions and terrain.

Thanks All.

KENETREK one and done. Best all around boot you can buy. They stand behind them to.

Pabear likes to make these comments...last time he did he got called out and never had a response.

Anyways, back on topic...go try on each and see what feels best on your feet. I tried Kenetreks and thought they were junk. I personally like Crispi boots, but I’ve never tried Schnees.

My feet hated Kenetreks. I put on a pair of Meindl Denalis and have never even thought about another boot since. My hunting partners love their Salomon Quests 4ds. The Kenetreks seem to be love or hate. I know a lot of people who like them but know just as many people whose feet get shredded by them. If I were going to limit myself to only trying two kinds of boots (which I wouldn’t), Kenetreks probably wouldn’t be one of them.

The Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI boots are very comfortable to me. They are very well made and have stayed waterproof for me.

You'll just have to try some boots on and see what your feet like.

Of the ones you mentioned, I only have personal experience with Kenetrek. Last week I wore my Mountain Extremes during a very wet and muddy shooting match, long match spread out over a few miles; I finished with dry feet and very impressed with my boots. One boot you didn't mention that I really have enjoyed is the Lowa Tibet. Boots are very personal and what one guy loves may not work well for the next guy. I have been looking at Crispi very seriously, just haven't tried them yet.

I've been through the Danner phase, won't go back. I've had two pairs of Meindls liked them. My biggest complaint about the Meindls was the shank was extremely stiff and the soles were very hard and tended to be slicker than other boots I've worn. They had great ankle support, but at the end of a long day, my feet would be very tired from how rigid they were. I got five years out the first pair albeit the last two years the boots leaked.

I'm currently on my second pair of uninsulated Kenetrek Mtn Extremes. They fit my feet like the proverbial hand in a glove and the only time I got blisters was when I hiked three miles as fast as I could with a 70lb. pack about a week after I got them. I knew better...

At this point, I intend to continue with the Mtn Extremes for a long time. I got three good years of very hard use on the first pair. This second pair is going on its fourth year and should easily last thru fall.

As others have said, I think boots are as much about what your foot likes rather than one company being the best brand for every person.

I've had good luck with Kenetrek boots, from durability to comfort but as mentioned above they can be uncomfortable to others. My suggestion would be try to find some where that will at least let you try them on and see what you think. Everyone is a little different and you should try to get the most comfortable/workable boot for you. A solid boot can make a trip that much better.

Pabear likes to make these comments...last time he did he got called out and never had a response.

Anyways, back on topic...go try on each and see what feels best on your feet. I tried Kenetreks and thought they were junk. I personally like Crispi boots, but I’ve never tried Schnees.

Agreed, comments like this are rather useless. If I tried to hunt in Kennetreks I would be on my hands and knees by day 3 of the hunt, IF I made it that far.

All three brands are very good boots, but most importantly you need to figure out which one really fits you. I have had very good luck with Schnees and Crispis both. Zamberlans are another very good boot that is worth a look.

I liked the Kenetreks Mountain Extreme, but could not get the proper fit. After break-in I wore them the first day of my Colorado Elk hunt, and had to switch over to my Danner Pronghorns for the last 4 days. I sold the Kenetreks, and bought a pair of Crispi Hunter GTX. They fit like a glove, and I have worn them multiple times. They did not require the break-in that I found necessary with the Kenetreks. The Crispis seem every bit as sturdy as the Kenetreks. If the Crispi Hunter GTX is too tall (12 ") for you, the Crispi Guide GTX is the same construction, but just 10 inches tall. I found them at Crispius.com (Blackovis). You get a 10% discount on your first order when you register online at time of purchase.

Agreed, comments like this are rather useless.

Carnage and JLS, glad I am not alone on comments like that of pabear. I hate hearing this boot, pack, tent, etc.... is the best. Compared to what. There might be a case if you at least let us know what they are being compared to.

I've had three pairs of Kenetrek (just sold a pair for $50). I wore one pair for several years every day for work and to the field. Great durability and comfort, but when I took them up the mountain with a pack on, blisters every time. Next I went with Lowa Hunters which I loved and were my mountain boot for a few years. Two or three years ago, I found a good deal on Scarpa Triolets and that is the boot that is currently on my foot every day. Like Gerald, and I am guessing many others here, I started with lesser quality of boot and have gradually evolved.

If you had asked me the question 25 years ago, I would have said Danner was the best boot, but that would be based on my experience pool of one.

My foot;
Kenetrek - durable boot, just not comfortable when on the mountain
Lowa Hunter - Great cold weather boot
Scarpa Triolet - My current favorite boot
Danner - Crap
Asolo - It was OK, but I don't recall the model
Crispi - No experience
Zamberlan - No experience

I just included the last two since they would be boots I would look at if I were shopping.
Sad thing, I still have the Danners in my closet.

You can get Zamberlan on Promotive/Experticity for a great price. I got impatient and bought the Vioz 1996 instead of waiting for the Guide 960 to come back in stock. We’ll see how they hold up, they sure are comfortable!

You can get Zamberlan on Promotive/Experticity for a great price.

That is where I picked up the Scarpas. Too good of a deal. Zamberlan is toying with me for the same reason. I will be interested to hear your thoughts.

I've had 2 pairs of the meindl Denali's and they have been by far the best heavy duty boot for me. I also picked up the 400 gram perfekt extreme's and really like them.

I picked up the zamberlan 960 guide's and my feet didn't like them as much. Many times for me, the feel of a boot can be changed just with different insoles and sock combinations and I could get them better but just not that awesome feeling the right boot will feel. I just bought a pair of the Scarpa SL Active's and right out of the box comfort is great so far. They have a similar fit to the Meindl's. I haven't tried the heavy duty Lowa's but had some of the renegades that are a favorite lighter duty boot.

I've tried on the non-insulated Kenetrek's in the store but didn't feel good enough to drop the coin on them. Have some co-workers that love the insulated mountain extreme's but hate the non-insulated.

Good luck in your search for the best boot. It will never end. At least for me anyway...

I have Schnees and they are awesome! Best business to deal with I have ever had when they stood behind their product a long time after they needed to. It is a long story but PM me if interested. Fit is awesome. Never a blister. Going on 11 years now and on my second pair.

No experience with the other two.

If you search my posts here, I've talked about this a couple times. The summary: you need to spend some time in the boots int he store to get an idea of what fits your foot best. Kennetrek did not work for me, as hard as I made them try. I settled on Cabela's Meindls.

It all depends on your foot. I could be given a pair of the $2,000 custom boots and if they were narrow then it won't work out. I prefer to order boots in wide. I actually really like my Keen's when I first started out West and they were not expensive but they aren't super durable.

Best advice as always is to find the one that fits and go with that. As far as quality, you will find several at higher quality levels. I finally settled on Meindls in wide but have only put a few miles on so the jury is still out but so far so good.

If you search my posts here, I've talked about this a couple times. The summary: you need to spend some time in the boots int he store to get an idea of what fits your foot best. Kennetrek did not work for me, as hard as I made them try. I settled on Cabela's Meindls.

I'm curious if you have wider feet? This sounds similar to my experience.

He all along I thought he asked for an OPINION. That was mine if you don't like don't read it.

I had been wearing Meindels for years. The last pair of Ibex started leaking after 5 yrs.
Had Meindel Mountaineering boots. Wore Lowa's mostly ...
I wear Kenetrek Pac boots,best winter boot for non ice climbing I found.IMHO
I wore Danner work boots for 30 yrs and still have 2 worn out Cascades. But they have gone way downhill in quality lately,IMHO. Even the leather from the Portland shop boots is 1/2 the thickness of my 15 yr old Cascades.
Tried on Kenetreks,Crispi's, Lowas & a few others at various shops.
Wanted a warm boot for mainly hunting ,but looking for all around work/hike/daily wear boots.
Found some Lowa Tibet GTX Superwarms NIB 1/2 price. Best hunting/hiking boot I have worn. A bit warm in NM summers for hiking.
Now looking to get some uninsulated Tibets for early everyday boot.Or Schnees or seeing what Redwing makes here again. I wore those for work & field hunting for years too.
The other boots do not fit as well or the quality is less on some. It's all about YOUR feet.
The 2 Merrels I have tried in last 2 yrs wore out instantly & never fit me or worked for me over all.

Point is find one that fits & works for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back