Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

floorless shelter and bugs during archery season?

smitty661

I just purchased a Seek Outside Cimmaron for this years elk hunt in Idaho. Im wondering if bugs will be an issue in september at around 8k ft. elevation? Im guessing it will depend on how buggy the area is. Ive been to some areas at that elevation that were thick with mosquitos and ive been to some spots that had no mosquitos at all. If my memory serves me correctly it seems that it was august when we had issues with mosquitos so im hoping that in mid september it shouldnt be quite as bad. Any floorless users have advice on this? I am also looking at different bug screen or nest options for the cimmaron if anybody has one other than what seek outside offers.

Smitty

Ever watch Naked & Afraid ? The small extra weight of the floor is well worth it to have a good night's sleep without having bugs crawling across your face or into your eardrum, yes that happened to me. I've been bit by centipedes in Hawaii. Hard to sleep after that.

I use only a tarp in September. I haven't hunted Idaho but have spent many a night in the CO Rockies. It gets cold enough at night that bugs are not a concern. Even last year when it was terrible warm I wasn't bothered by bugs. I would assume Idaho being further north wouldn't be an issue.

Have used only a tarp shelter for archery season in CO, ID, and OR. Never had a bug issue. Only time I wish I had a little tighter shelter was once in NM when the wind came up and my mouth was full of sand in the morning. That sucked.

I hunted Idaho last season in the Beaverhead zone. We stayed in the Cimmaron with no issues. Bugs get in and they get out. We didn't have any mosquitos so that helped. The rest of the little flying bugs hang out in the top cone until you open the zipper.

You could stake it tight to the ground to keep bugs out, but you'll get more condensation. As long as its not thick with mosquitos, stake it up an inch or two off the ground for good airflow and you'll be fine.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back