Caribou Gear Tarp

Hornady Brass

Brian in Montana

I've shot a lot of Hornady factory ammo in my .308 and have quite a lot of it sitting around. I reloaded some of it yesterday, for the first time, and quickly found I was having trouble seating the primers. Upon comparison with the other brass I was loading - a mixture of Winchester, PMC, and Fiocchi, I noticed it's designed different. There is an extra lip, or edge pointing up out of the primer pocket. I used my handy-dandy primer pocket reamer on them but only just enough to get a primer to seat. But it makes me a little nervous to do something that alters the primer pocket.

Anyway, anybody else noticed this? How's the best way to work with it in re-loading?

I noticed this on all of the once fired .223 hornady cases I loaded. They have crimped primers, I used my chamfering tool and removed the crimp just enough to seat the new primer.

I've used a lot of Hornady brass and I've not had this problem. However, it catches my eye, because in all my life, I've only ever had 3 factory loaded centerfire cartridges fail to go off and they were all Hornady, two of them in the same box. I've also had the same issue with brand new Hornady brass that has not been fire-formed in my rifle. Once it's been through a single time, the issue is gone.

It may be exclusive to the common AR15/AR10 rounds. I saw it in .223, Brian has it with .308. The brass I had was from Hornady factory ammo.

I have noticed on Hornady .300 wm brass also. I don't remember it on the .308 but it has been a while since it was initially shot and reloaded.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back