Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Spring Snow Goose hunt

pointingdogsrule

I don't hunt Snow geese that often, however, after watching about 6 flocks fly over northeast Iowa I got the itch. Booked a hunt in southern South Dakota with a guide. I'm not really a waterfowl hunter, however, I do enjoy seeing those huge flocks of snow geese. Being a single I called and asked a guide if he could fit one person in.... Yep. I looked for a nicer day and booked for a 2 day hunt. Because it's been so cold and snowy in South Dakota the geese are about 4 weeks behind in the migration. Hunted Wednesday, near water, and he put me with 7 of his guides. The season is coming to an end and they have a "guide fun hunt". The guides were the greatest and we had a blast. 60 geese shot the first day. Thursday, we hunted a spread in a cornfield. It was slower and 4 of us shot 16. The neatest part was to see a "migrating flock" come down from way up in the sky.... circle a few times.... have a few juvies break off and then get some shots off. Really cool. I may have to do this more often. They let me take 40 birds home :)

Note: I have upland bird dogs that hunt pheasants... not waterfowl. This one guide had this Black Lab and he was incredible with blind retrieves. It was so fun to watch a great dog work :)

good luck to all
the dog

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Awesome looks like a fun trip. I have a buddy who is laid off from December to May, depending on the weather and that's what he does with his spring. He guides from Missouri to North Dakota, following them up all the way. I was going to be heading out to South Dakota this weekend to meet up with him but with this incoming snow storm, we decided to push it off a week. Looks like you had a great time. That's the best part is watching migrators come from the heavens to your spread.

Awesome looks like a fun trip. I have a buddy who is laid off from December to May, depending on the weather and that's what he does with his spring. He guides from Missouri to North Dakota, following them up all the way. I was going to be heading out to South Dakota this weekend to meet up with him but with this incoming snow storm, we decided to push it off a week. Looks like you had a great time. That's the best part is watching migrators come from the heavens to your spread.

Yep, I think that you described it better then me... "from the heavens" :) I laughed. The whole time I'm saying "come on baby, come on baby". Then as they circle I get quiet. Then I start saying "break off, break off" :) Then it goes to "it's gonna happen" :)

good luck to all
the dog

Good stuff! Been toying with the idea of putting together a spread. I’m pretty close to doing so.

That black labs name wasn’t Jake was it?

Looks like big fun. I have been chasing them over here, but unfortunately, only with a camera.

Super!! I really need to do this one spring. Almost had a group put together last year, but they all bailed. I may try doing what you did and see if the outfitters will take a single...

We went in February at Tunica, MS on the Arkansas/ Mississippi line. First day was a good one then it poured down until the fields we unhuntable. I asked the guide to just use what was left of our 3 day hunt to confirm us for next year. The only down side was when my son's retriever got sprayed by a skunk! Man that Hotel stunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John

I'm having snow goose tacos for dinner tonight! What are your plans for the 40 you brought home?

Ok, here is what I do with mine. Someone gave me this recipe....
Debone the meat off of the breast. Find someone that has a "tenderizer machine". Run each breast through the machine two times. (they will end up looking like swiss steak). Next place one breast in a baggie and add 50/50 orange juice and Italian dressing. Just enough to cover the breast. I would say 1/2 cup of each. After 12 - 18 hours they should be good. Next add 1/2 inch of 7-UP to a fry pan and slowly cook the breast in the 7-UP. If I remember it takes about 10 minutes to cook. Flip a few times. If you are unsure just cut a slice in the meat to see if it's done.

This is delicious and the meat will taste "sweet". I often serve it to people who do NOT like goose and they come back for seconds after having this. It works great as an hors d'oeuvres

good luck to all
the dog

PS: send me the "taco" recipe. Thanks

Super!! I really need to do this one spring. Almost had a group put together last year, but they all bailed. I may try doing what you did and see if the outfitters will take a single...

I was in the same place. Others decided that they wanted to go. So I was the designated organizer. People backing out, wanting to know $$$, changing dates of the hunt. I decided to just do it my self. Much easier.

All the outfitters that I talked to were happy to take a "single". It was real easy to throw me in with another group.

One other note: going yourself..... you can usually call ahead a week or less and they will find you a spot. This is good because you can look at the near term weather forcast and have a better Idea of where the geese will be concentrated. Go alone young man :)

good luck to all
the dog

We went in February at Tunica, MS on the Arkansas/ Mississippi line. First day was a good one then it poured down until the fields we unhuntable. I asked the guide to just use what was left of our 3 day hunt to confirm us for next year. The only down side was when my son's retriever got sprayed by a skunk! Man that Hotel stunk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! John

Glad that you had a good time. Funny, the group before us also had the dog sprayed by a skunk :)

good luck to all
the dog

I was in the same place. Others decided that they wanted to go. So I was the designated organizer. People backing out, wanting to know $$$, changing dates of the hunt. I decided to just do it my self. Much easier.

All the outfitters that I talked to were happy to take a "single". It was real easy to throw me in with another group.

One other note: going yourself..... you can usually call ahead a week or less and they will find you a spot. This is good because you can look at the near term weather forcast and have a better Idea of where the geese will be concentrated. Go alone young man :)

good luck to all
the dog
Thanks for that info!! Definitely a possibility for next spring!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back