Good ole boy from Alabama... in Chicago

Jyates6218

Hey everyone. Im new to the midwest. I moved from the country side of Alabama up to the midwest and I need some help. This will be my first year hunting the Midwest, what can I expect up here. What are some good public lands in Illinois to hunt? Not looking for specific spots, just general areas. I hear Pike county, also heard about Jim Edgar Panther Creek and Shawnee National Forest. Is it all tree stand hunting? Any still hunting or spot and stalk opportunities for whitetail? Looking forward to taking my first archery deer. Looking forward to hearing from some folks on here.

I am about 3 hrs SE of Chicago Indiana side. Not a lot of public land around. Yep every whitetail deer hunter knows of pike county and with out paying $$ you won't be hunting there. Wish I had better news for you.

Welcome, lots of private land in this neck of the woods. Not familiar with your area, I am about 2 hours north into Michigan. 45 min away we have the Allegan state game area if that works for you.

Welcome! I know squat about hunting in IL, but have long wanted to give it a try at Midwein National Grassland.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/midewin/home

Also, there's a couple of guys here from Chicago that have a website/podcast thing going on about hunting. I'm sure they'll be around to welcome you and I can't recall their usernames off hand. A search here of Chicago should turn them up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back