MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Mushroom hunting

WoW! 8 pounds under one tree is a haul indeed! Sounds like a good tip.

With age and my weight., the spine and shooting pains i'm forced to deal with has kept me from the long mushroom treks i used to love going on so my production has been way down lately but i got another member here, Larrbo, and his wife hooked on the yearly pursuit.

The picture with price tag above, google images. Though i may have given away as many as i've cooked, never have sold any. There usually comes to this area a buyer or two who buy from pickers out of their Vans to resell at top dollar. Not interested.

Sure is a good tip, lots of hunters totally miss out on the old apple trees. Funny thing is, I never found another shroom under that tree. Funny how they work. That same year was my best ever, I picked just over 80 pounds that season.

After the last two days I need this to melt first...then maybe I can get out :) 12 inches in my yard...

april2018.jpg

Ok, another MN person here....I have not shed hunted due to the snow as others have said...but what do you really look for when morel hunting?

Early in the season, I look on south facing slopes and most often around dead elms. As the season progresses, ridge tops and finally north facing slopes as summer gets closer.

Awesome! We are done for the year and now sweating in 95 degrees. Crappie are still biting . Bluegill are prime.
Namesless you are set for sautéed mushrooms in butter piled on a steak!

shroomin

Spring Bounty

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3af0.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_3af0.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7158.jpg
    IMG_7158.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 3t1f8McYSRWChUQsHPF1wA.jpg
    3t1f8McYSRWChUQsHPF1wA.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1093.jpg
    IMG_1093.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 74
Dang Big Foot, you got it figured out.

I ate some of those as obligatory butter-soaked steak condiment. But because my culinary skills peaked at age 19, tonight we had breakfast for dinner: Morel loaded tater tot piles.

Attachments

• 3D1DD1D3-C1A5-45D0-9C24-C804535C0510.jpg
    3D1DD1D3-C1A5-45D0-9C24-C804535C0510.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 57
I'm down for either of the two tasty looking plates above but Big Foot there really has gone, "over the top!"

Anyone else road hunt morels? I like to drive the likely logging roads fairly near my place. When i spot 1, i get out, pick it, then usually find more, sometimes getting quite a few, repeat. As i mentioned, my mobility is restricted but road hunting the tasty morsels has allowed me to at least still get a few.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back