Rifle rebuild

p_ham

My dad bought me this rifle when I was 11 or 12. It was a youth model, 20in bbl chambered in .308. It was never superbly accurate, but I have taken all my deer with it and it has accompanied me on many more hunts.

I managed to throw enough lead through it that I shot out the barrel. It got to the point where it wouldn't hold 6in at 200yd. Time for an overhaul.

I decided I wanted to do all the work myself. I have a background in machining/ metal fab so while somewhat intimidating I knew I had the necessary skills.

Stock was a semi inlet rough shape from Boyds. It has been pillar bedded and free floated. The work on the stock was done a few years ago.

Barrel is Shilen 25in contoured, threaded, and short chambered. Chamber was finished by hand

Timney thin profile trigger.

I did not worry about blueprinting the action, if it was a competition gun sure, but a game animal won't know the difference between a sub MOA rifle and a sub half MOA.

Finish is KG Gun kote, flat dark grey on the action and barrel. Black on the bolt, trigger, and scope mounts.

All in all I am happy with it. I have broken in the barrel and am working up a load. So far it looks promising.

0412181833a.jpg0412181833b.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes it's still a .308, I like the cartridge too much to deviate. I did come very close to making it into a .260rem though.

Nice. I see you are from Fallon. Used to live in Dayton. Hunted out at Stillwater alot. mtmuley

Nice looking rifle! So, you did the finish on the barrel, or did you have that done? Just curious about it if it was a finish done at home.

Nice looking rifle. I'm curious also. You finish reamed it by hand? In a lathe? Did you buy a reamer or rent one?

Nice looking rifle! So, you did the finish on the barrel, or did you have that done? Just curious about it if it was a finish done at home.
Thank you. I did the finish myself, gunkote requires the substrate be sandblasted and the finish baked on. I have a blasting cabinet and made an oven for cooking guns.

Nice looking rifle. I'm curious also. You finish reamed it by hand? In a lathe? Did you buy a reamer or rent one?
Thank you. Finish reamed by hand..used a t handle no lathe. I also just bought the reamer. I used a Manson fixed pilot it only ran me $105 and I'll have it for future use.

Nice. I see you are from Fallon. Used to live in Dayton. Hunted out at Stillwater alot. mtmuley
Stillwater has been almost completely dry the last few years. Most of the water goes to the refuge side and the hunters don't get access. Even when we flooded last year most of the runoff was wasted. Irritating to say the least.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back