New Binos

ZackW

Hi everyone, I’m looking for input on some new binos. I currently live and hunt in Wisconsin, which means a lot of sitting in tree stands. I use a pair of 8x36 binos, which work fine for this application. This fall I will be heading out west for multiple trips (mulies and pronghorn, bow and rifle), and was trying to figure out what to go with. I was thinking of getting a pair of 10x50’s to replace the 8x’s, OR keep the 8x’s on my chest and get a pair of 12x50’s to carry in my pack and use for glassing on a tripod. I’m not going to bother with a spotting scope since I only need to identify if it’s a buck and if it’s worth going after (I’m not counting inches or going after monster bucks only). Also- I intend to hunt out of my backpack for several days at a time, so weight is a factor. Any opinions? Thanks in advance!

I used 8x25's several times in WY for antelope and they worked just fine to see if it's a buck. Use what you have and save the money for something else IMO. THere are tons of 10x42's which is more than enough if you want to get new ones, Vortex, Vanguard, Leupold....etc.etc..

For antelope or western hunting in general, 10x42. As good as you can afford (thankfully, there are many relatively inexpensive good ones out there). Forget the 10x50s and 12x anythings. They are too heavy for what they can do for you.

You DO need a spotting scope. Looking at different bucks makes a world of difference! Even among nonmonsters, there are better and worse bucks and then there are bucks with cool shapes and contours to their horns. Glassing them and choosing among them is all of what anteloping is about. I can't imagine going all the way out west and not taking a spotting scope.

Of course, I confess, I have one for sale in the classifieds that would do very nicely for you...

For antelope or western hunting in general, 10x42. As good as you can afford (thankfully, there are many relatively inexpensive good ones out there). Forget the 10x50s and 12x anythings. They are too heavy for what they can do for you.

You DO need a spotting scope. Looking at different bucks makes a world of difference! Even among nonmonsters, there are better and worse bucks and then there are bucks with cool shapes and contours to their horns. Glassing them and choosing among them is all of what anteloping is about. I can't imagine going all the way out west and not taking a spotting scope.

Of course, I confess, I have one for sale in the classifieds that would do very nicely for you...

This!

I use 8x myself and pack a spotter. With a spotter you can find bucks vs does way out there.

I've used various binos and spotters.

For backpack hunting, I use 8x32 binos in combination with a lightweight spotting scope (Kowa 554.) To mount the spotting scope, I use an ultralight Granite Peak tripod.

The 8x32 are good for glassing broad swathes of terrain, and can be handheld easily. The spotting scope is good for examining specific patches of ground, and looking at individual animals (judging antlers at closer ranges, and determining sex at long range.)

8x32 binos are relatively lightweight, as is the spotting scope.

This combination makes very few compromises regarding optical qualities, and isn't too heavy to carry on a backpack hunt.

I have never been sorry I purchased quality 10x50 binoculars. I have tried carrying 8 powers while archery hunting and just don't like them as much as I like my 10 powers.
I do balance the 10 powers on my shooting sticks when glassing for extended periods of time.

A good pair of 10x42 or 10x50 are worth their weight in gold imo. Best all around piece of glass in my arsenal. I don't think you will be happy with 12x50, if you want high power binos to "replace" a spotter I feel you need to go to 15x. With a tripod obviously. Also keep in mind the 15x binos are not much lighter than that of a leupold spotter. They are very light, maybe kowa is similar in weight?? No matter what you decide, spend as much as you can afford. I like many others have went cheap on some things and regret it to this day.

I've got 10x42's and 12x50's swaro EL's. I've qualms with either of them and can hold the 12s steady just fine. the 12x50's are certainly heavier though.

I think what I’m going to end up doing is holding off on new binos and pick up a spotting scope instead to use in conjunction with the 8x’s I’ve already got. Vortex offers a ridiculous discount for military, so I’ll pick up one of their scopes. I’m sure glad I checked in here first, as my experience is quite limited and it seems that my priorities were a bit skewed. Thanks to everyone for setting me straight.

I think what I’m going to end up doing is holding off on new binos and pick up a spotting scope instead to use in conjunction with the 8x’s I’ve already got. Vortex offers a ridiculous discount for military, so I’ll pick up one of their scopes. I’m sure glad I checked in here first, as my experience is quite limited and it seems that my priorities were a bit skewed. Thanks to everyone for setting me straight.

I think I have heard leupold also offers a good military discount?? Might be worth checking, I have a vortex viper spotting scope and real disappointed. The vortex razor series is probably pretty decent though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back