Tagging/after the shot Meat question

8andcounting

Well its the offseason so I wanted to undertand the law/rules a little better going into this coming year . With a Montana deer and elk tag i as a NR also get the green paper with the conservation license on it, as does everyone im sure . So heres my questions - When i kill a elk 2 miles from the pickup and completely d bone in, no quartering, completely d bone , do i leave the sack attatched to a chunk of meat or what is the correct way to go about that ? and if i shoot a cow, and im not bring the head or any legs out what do i do with the tag? And then ill use deer in this example, we are bringing a old deep freeze with this year and will completely d bone our deer with evidence of sex attatched to a piece of emat? , and the tag will stay on the horns that we cut off the heads . What do we put in on our bag of meat in the freezer as far as tags? cuz they'll be on the horns? just curious as to how most deal with this . Usually we have been bringing our deer home whole but now with cwd we cannot bring them into ND anymore.

Just tag on the horns, not needed on meat. Leave evidence of sex attached to deboned meat either sac or vulva. Not sure about the cow head and tag, it will tell you in the law book you get with your tag in the mail.

The first thing you should do when you get to your dead animal is punch your tag and attach it to the largest piece of meat (not the horns, State of MT doesn't care about the horns) this is the hindquarters with the evidence of sex. If you're deboning it throw the tag in with the bag with said chunk of meat. Evidence of sex stays on until it gets to the place of "final processing" either the butcher shop or wherever you're going to package this thing. Tag stays with the meat until it's all consumed.

Do it that way and you won't have any trouble.

If you are asking about Montana the tag stays with the meat, per the regs. Put the tag in one of the game bags. I've done it many times and through a check station with no problems.

Last edited:
Ok so if I kill a buck and tag it on horns - it hangs in ranchers shed for few days until I decided to d bone it , I then leave the evidence of sex attached to a chunk of meat and throw take tag off horns and put it in with meat and I should be good ? Thanks

Ok so if I kill a buck and tag it on horns - it hangs in ranchers shed for few days until I decided to d bone it , I then leave the evidence of sex attached to a chunk of meat and throw take tag off horns and put it in with meat and I should be good ? Thanks

yep

When you skin out the deer skin out a testy and leave it attached. Works better then having a chunk of sack hair hanging out with your meat.

When you skin out the deer skin out a testy and leave it attached. Works better then having a chunk of sack hair hanging out with your meat.

Yeh . Last time I d boned I left the entire sack attached but I put the sack and hair in a ziplock bag with a zip tie so it couldn't get onto the meat but yet remain attached

I'm an eastsrner, and it's illegal to quarter a deer here, so I've always gutted. As a result, this is an incredibly dumb question. If I skin out a teste, that will be attached to the rear quarter? Is this tough to figure out on the fly? Really don't want to slip up and make an irreversible mistake

I'm an eastsrner, and it's illegal to quarter a deer here, so I've always gutted. As a result, this is an incredibly dumb question. If I skin out a teste, that will be attached to the rear quarter? Is this tough to figure out on the fly? Really don't want to slip up and make an irreversible mistake

It comes pre-attached so all you have to do is skin it. It's pretty straightforward and easy, like skinning an egg. Most out of state guys screw up because they were taught to lop 'em off and usually do so without a second thought.

I've always wondered - do you guys take the tag with you on each trip back to the animal? Or leave it in the truck with the first trip? (Someday I'll shoot a critter that I can get out in one trip...)

I usually leave about 1/2 of the skinned penis attached. Pretty easy to do. The butcher I occasionally use in Idaho thought it was a great idea and he had not seen anyone do that before. Been doing it that way in Oregon and Idaho since the early 90's. As you skin or debone one hind quarter it is easy to just leave it attached to the inside of one of the quarters. There is certainly more than one way to leave evidence of sex attached. We don't need that in California. We just need the horns from a buck or skull plate of an antlerless animal.

If you have Netflix watch the Meateater episode "Lobster of the Prairie." He show you how to do it.

Tony is right. Tag with the largest load of meat.
I’ve talked with several at FWP about this about the unlimited sheep areas, where it’s the law you have to get the head checked in 48 hours of harvest. It would seem weird to be driving around with an untagged Bighorn head while the meat is still on the mountain but that’s a very realistic situation a person could get in up there.

Gabenzeke- However you do it, be sure to leave it naturally attached. And keep the tag with the majority of the meat. Especially if you find yourself successful in CO unit 53. And no tag on antlers if you're packing elk out in pieces. There's a really good chance that the current game warden there was trained by Doug Homan. And Doug Homan offered ZERO mercy for ANY mistake.

I’m not saying anyone is wrong here, but when it comes to laws and regs I ask the person who will be writing the ticket. You would be surprised with the varying interpretations from Officer to officer

Back