Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Tagging/after the shot Meat question

Leaving a ball attached is the dumbest rule we have, IMO, since the regs don't dictate sex (in most cases), but rather antlered vs antlerless. But, it's the law, so I follow it...

I’m not saying anyone is wrong here, but when it comes to laws and regs I ask the person who will be writing the ticket. You would be surprised with the varying interpretations from Officer to officer

It’s pretty simple and the regs are very clear.

When you skin out the deer skin out a testy and leave it attached. Works better then having a chunk of sack hair hanging out with your meat.

Alternately a piece of the skinned penis tube works well too. Of which piece can be left attached to both rear quarters if you're careful.

Tony is right. Tag with the largest load of meat.
I’ve talked with several at FWP about this about the unlimited sheep areas, where it’s the law you have to get the head checked in 48 hours of harvest. It would seem weird to be driving around with an untagged Bighorn head while the meat is still on the mountain but that’s a very realistic situation a person could get in up there.

That would certainly be an easy feeling. In AK the meat has to be out of the field before the horns, and the horns have to be sealed in 10 days. Coincidentally sheep does not require you leave proof of sex attached, the horns are proof... I guess sheep hunters are more conscientious :rolleyes:

I've always wondered - do you guys take the tag with you on each trip back to the animal? Or leave it in the truck with the first trip? (Someday I'll shoot a critter that I can get out in one trip...)

I’m not saying anyone is wrong here, but when it comes to laws and regs I ask the person who will be writing the ticket. You would be surprised with the varying interpretations from Officer to officer

This....When packing a 1/4'rd animal I've always wondered the same thing. This question was asked of a game warden at the BHA Rendezvous in Missoula a couple years ago....he did not give a clear answer from what I recall.

Leaving a ball attached is the dumbest rule we have, IMO, since the regs don't dictate sex (in most cases), but rather antlered vs antlerless. But, it's the law, so I follow it...

Would you rather leave the head attached? I think the balls are probably lighter and easier.

That would certainly be an easy feeling. In AK the meat has to be out of the field before the horns, and the horns have to be sealed in 10 days. Coincidentally sheep does not require you leave proof of sex attached, the horns are proof... I guess sheep hunters are more conscientious :rolleyes:

I don’t really agree with it but it’s the way the law is written.
In the age of sat phones/InReaches they could shorten the length of time for reporting a harvest and extend the length of time it has to be plugged
An intact head and cape must be personally presented to FWP within 48 hours. I’d prefer to call them immediately, get to work on packing the meat out and return for head and camp.

I think it might need to be changed to consider how the animal may have chosen to identify themselves. They may use a different bathroom than you might have otherwise expected.

What's the point of leaving a ball attached? It doesn't prove that what you shot was antlered.

No, leaving a nut attached does not prove that what you shot was indeed antlered. However, it does greatly increase the likelihood the animal you shot was indeed antlered. In addition it helps clarify the fact the carcass does indeed belong to the antlered head it may or may not accompany.

Believe it or not, people do try to sneak out animals that were not legal for the given tag they had. This goes both ways, including taking bucks on a doe tag, and does/cows on antlered tags. Having to leave proof of sex attached to one of the quarters and/or chunk of boneless meat is one of the biggest indicators someone is trying to cheat with their tag. You can believe that or not, that’s truth.

No, leaving a nut attached does not prove that what you shot was indeed antlered. However, it does greatly increase the likelihood the animal you shot was indeed antlered. In addition it helps clarify the fact the carcass does indeed belong to the antlered head it may or may not accompany.

Believe it or not, people do try to sneak out animals that were not legal for the given tag they had. This goes both ways, including taking bucks on a doe tag, and does/cows on antlered tags. Having to leave proof of sex attached to one of the quarters and/or chunk of boneless meat is one of the biggest indicators someone is trying to cheat with their tag. You can believe that or not, that’s truth.

This is correct.

I'm genuinely surprised there aren't explicit directions on what to do with your tag when you debone an animal. Still not clear in this thread what should be done, but I know I've always attached it to the meat on my first load (often on the antlers, so it's easy to get to) and then leave it in the truck for the following trips, under the assumption that if I run into a warden, he's going to want to follow me back to my truck to check the rest of the animal anyways. Not sure if that's the right method or not, but I definitely don't want to run into a warden with a punched tag in my pocket and a dead animal on the ground - that's absolutely not legal.

Yup it has to be on the animal or with the meat . Having it in your pocket until u get animal out is totally illegal .

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back