Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cutting costs...

I'm really getting the bug to get back to Wyoming this fall, but $$$ is as tight as the pucker power of an 18 yr old on the 1st day in a Federal prison.

I have all the equipment for a true DIY, no need to buy any more. Maybe a bit roughing it though.

A rental vechile is a must. My '94 Ranger will never make that trek.

Ohio to Wy & back. 10 days allotted time. Where can I cut cost ?

Get creative with ideas, but remember.... I'll be 63 yrs old.
    Last edited by Gunner46; 04-12-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

Pack all of your food avoiding the cost of eating out. Get a partner to split costs with.
    "Never apologize for being a Patriot!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner46 View Post
    I'm really getting the bug to get back to Wyoming this fall, but $$$ is as tight as the pucker power of an 18 yr old on the 1st day in a Federal prison.

I have all the equipment for a true DIY, no need to buy any more. Maybe a bit roughing it though.

A rental vechile is a must. My '94 Ranger will never make that trek.

Ohio to Wy & back. 10 days allotted time. Where can I cut cost ?

Get creative with ideas, but remember.... I'll be 63 yrs old.

Get a hunting partner or 2 (one with a capable vehicle), split drive time and fuel costs and drive straight through, eliminating hotel expenses for the trip.

I say adding a partner to the trek will cut your costs significantly.

The other standbys are all that comes to mind: truck camping, no eating out, etc.
    "There are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm." ~TR

"He was a mighty hunter before the Lord." ~Genesis 10:9

Getting a partner to split the costs is like getting a 1st date to do the same !
    "Talent, hits a target, no one else can hit... Genius, hits a target, no one else can see."

15xx miles each way @ 3.00/gallon with 17 MPG is about 530 bucks round trip. Then the rental itself will be 3-500 per week, let's say $1000. Doe tags only are cheaper so doe tags only. Really, what else could you cut out...nothing in my mind if you are camping. I suggest finding a friend with a reliable truck to go with you, that is all you can do to cut costs because then no rental vehicle. You have to eat so it's wash. Rent a Prius for better mileage
    Last edited by MN Public Hunter; 04-12-2018 at 09:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SFC B View Post
    Pack all of your food avoiding the cost of eating out. Get a partner to split costs with.
    Didn't even think of this one because it is such the norm for me.

The most expensive part of my trips is the tag and fuel.

I did a pretty cheap hunt last year.

My pronghorn buck tag, WT doe tag and conservation stamp was roughly $380.

I drove my car from Indiana and back, around $400 in fuel split 3 ways = roughly $130-140

We stayed in a hotel 1 night, around $35 each.

Ate out of the coolers, so no extra cost there.

Total=roughly $550. If I had gone w/2 doe tags from the initial draw instead of a buck tag, it would have been around $300 door to door.

Car rental and going solo will definitely be more expensive, but I'd think you could still do it for under $1k, especially with doe tags.

Get a hunting partner who has a vehicle and is willing to drive out west. Split cost with said person on travel expenses. Rough it, no hotels or camp grounds, look for free camping locations. Look for states with cheaper tags. Look for states that are closer. Budget food, and by that make health but cheap choices and pack it with you. Do not eat out
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

11. Default

Rent the smallest car you can find today. Should be about $30 a day, and 40mpg. Maybe cost a little less.
    Stipulate you want cruise!

Wife and I did this for our honeymoon. Worked out great. We did notice on the last day that we were not to drive the car off pavement. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeptrying View Post
    Rent the smallest car you can find today. Should be about $30 a day, and 40mpg. Maybe cost a little less.
    Stipulate you want cruise!

Wife and I did this for our honeymoon. Worked out great. We did notice on the last day that we were not to drive the car off pavement. LOL.
    This! Easy if you draw a tag that borders an interstate or large highway. Park and hunt from the pavement...

Buy a cheap Costco cold carry softsided bag and bring your meat/skull back as a carry-on. Works like a charm.

~
    Visit my blog The Outdoor Smorgasbord (Est. Feb 2008)

You're planning 10 days for an antelope trip? Sure that includes travel time but is that right?

Shot you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
    You're planning 10 days for an antelope trip? Sure that includes travel time but is that right?
    If that's right, he better take a fishin rod and a BIG cooler. Most guys can't hold off more than 3 days, me included.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatrock View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking, so either spending a lot on hotels or sleeping in the car to cut costs.

Maybe he plans on filling 4 or 5 tags.

I wouldn't have the guts to ask a friend to go with me in order to cut my costs and then tell them that by the way we're taking your truck, LOL!

You’re concentrating on the wrong side of the income statement. You should find a part time job or sell something to make money to help cover your expenses.

Just start saving $ 40 each month & wait til next year. By then u will have enough saved up to have an enjoyable trip.

2 things: brymoore nailed it, more disposable income and are you a Vet with a VA rating? Idaho is where to go if you are: you can hunt deer & elk, req hunt license and 3 days of fishing for same as 2 lope doe tags in wy (under$100) its not cheaper just a lot more oppurtunity. on a side note time to upgrade that ranger...lol

Sell plasma, that was my main source of beer money in college.
    There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Husker hunter View Post
    Just start saving $ 40 each month & wait til next year. By then u will have enough saved up to have an enjoyable trip.
    This. I can't imagine driving all that way and being stressed out counting pennies the whole time. Start saving and go in 2019.

Put it on the card.. then pay for it later. Get your dam priorities straight. Seriously, I wouldn't put it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast