Cutting costs...

Gunner46

I'm really getting the bug to get back to Wyoming this fall, but $$$ is as tight as the pucker power of an 18 yr old on the 1st day in a Federal prison.

I have all the equipment for a true DIY, no need to buy any more. Maybe a bit roughing it though.

A rental vechile is a must. My '94 Ranger will never make that trek.

Ohio to Wy & back. 10 days allotted time. Where can I cut cost ?

Get creative with ideas, but remember.... I'll be 63 yrs old.

Last edited:
I'm really getting the bug to get back to Wyoming this fall, but $$$ is as tight as the pucker power of an 18 yr old on the 1st day in a Federal prison.

I have all the equipment for a true DIY, no need to buy any more. Maybe a bit roughing it though.

A rental vechile is a must. My '94 Ranger will never make that trek.

Ohio to Wy & back. 10 days allotted time. Where can I cut cost ?

Get creative with ideas, but remember.... I'll be 63 yrs old.

Get a hunting partner or 2 (one with a capable vehicle):D, split drive time and fuel costs and drive straight through, eliminating hotel expenses for the trip.

I say adding a partner to the trek will cut your costs significantly.

The other standbys are all that comes to mind: truck camping, no eating out, etc.

15xx miles each way @ 3.00/gallon with 17 MPG is about 530 bucks round trip. Then the rental itself will be 3-500 per week, let's say $1000. Doe tags only are cheaper so doe tags only. Really, what else could you cut out...nothing in my mind if you are camping. I suggest finding a friend with a reliable truck to go with you, that is all you can do to cut costs because then no rental vehicle. You have to eat so it's wash. Rent a Prius for better mileage :)

Last edited:
I did a pretty cheap hunt last year.

My pronghorn buck tag, WT doe tag and conservation stamp was roughly $380.

I drove my car from Indiana and back, around $400 in fuel split 3 ways = roughly $130-140

We stayed in a hotel 1 night, around $35 each.

Ate out of the coolers, so no extra cost there.

Total=roughly $550. If I had gone w/2 doe tags from the initial draw instead of a buck tag, it would have been around $300 door to door.

Car rental and going solo will definitely be more expensive, but I'd think you could still do it for under $1k, especially with doe tags.

Get a hunting partner who has a vehicle and is willing to drive out west. Split cost with said person on travel expenses. Rough it, no hotels or camp grounds, look for free camping locations. Look for states with cheaper tags. Look for states that are closer. Budget food, and by that make health but cheap choices and pack it with you. Do not eat out

Rent the smallest car you can find today. Should be about $30 a day, and 40mpg. Maybe cost a little less.
Stipulate you want cruise!

Wife and I did this for our honeymoon. Worked out great. We did notice on the last day that we were not to drive the car off pavement. LOL.

Rent the smallest car you can find today. Should be about $30 a day, and 40mpg. Maybe cost a little less.
Stipulate you want cruise!

Wife and I did this for our honeymoon. Worked out great. We did notice on the last day that we were not to drive the car off pavement. LOL.
This! Easy if you draw a tag that borders an interstate or large highway. Park and hunt from the pavement... :D :D

You're planning 10 days for an antelope trip? Sure that includes travel time but is that right?

You're planning 10 days for an antelope trip? Sure that includes travel time but is that right?

If that's right, he better take a fishin rod and a BIG cooler. Most guys can't hold off more than 3 days, me included.

Exactly what I was thinking, so either spending a lot on hotels or sleeping in the car to cut costs.

I wouldn't have the guts to ask a friend to go with me in order to cut my costs and then tell them that by the way we're taking your truck, LOL!

You’re concentrating on the wrong side of the income statement. You should find a part time job or sell something to make money to help cover your expenses.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back