Default Uncommon Ground - Film Premiere at BHA Rondezvous

Backcountry Hunters and Anglers asked if we would put together a public land film for them to premiere Friday night in Boise.

So, Marcus put his creative mind to work and I tried to not be too much interference in my role as "visionary" (blind visionary). We came up with this idea, trying to connect public lands, hunting for food, and the requirement for advocacy, with the constraints of keeping it at 15 minutes.

Below is a minute and a half trailer of the final product.

A few Hunt Talkers who have experience in this video gig have seen the full version. Haven't got all their critiques yet, so I am worried they are trying to figure out how to not hurt my feelings with their comments.

For those of you who are in Boise you get to see the BHA version that has some outtakes of the BHA employee, Ty "Three Arrow" Stubblefield. Hopefully those outtakes don't get him fired.

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run outta health before you run outta money."

You have the right melody in the background. No doubt about that!

Good stuff Randy. Will those of us not fortunate enough to attend be able to see the full version at some point?
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

Looking forward to seeing this Friday night!

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    You have the right melody in the background. No doubt about that!
    We were lucky. Thanks to some connections beyond my reach, a person we often work with was able to get a well known folk/bluegrass singer to record that track, which for us resulted in the deal of the century on original music. I had discovered that when Guthrie did his copyright, he messed it up and the copyright was held as invalid, so that song is public domain for anyone (including Jeep commercials) to use that song. That saved us even more money.

The full cut of that music is amazing. Now that we've invested to money for it, we will do another shorter project based on that track as it was recorded for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Elk View Post
    Good stuff Randy. Will those of us not fortunate enough to attend be able to see the full version at some point?
    Yup. Amazon, YouTube, and the normal places. We will have to do a different version to get rid of some of the outtakes and change a few small things.
    My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

You do good stuff. I'm not where you find the time between all of that, defunding the federal government, and keeping DQ afloat.

BTW, I got my first copy of the BHA magazine yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, and it blew me away.

Have fun in Idaho.

I will be taking tickets and other grunt work for BHA during the film festival on Friday, but am hoping to poke my head in to see some of the films during my volunteer shift. Looks like a good one.

"the greatest accumulation of undistributed wealth on the planet. " I really love that idea.
    Elitist Hunter

"Never let schooling [work] get in the way of your education" - Mark Twain

Can't wait to see it on the big screen in a couple of days! My daughter loved watching Ty wail on that bugle tube!
    “The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.” - Jack London

Looking forward to seeing the rest of it on Amazon!

Looking forward to seeing this at rendezvous

Quote Originally Posted by Big Fin View Post
    Yup. Amazon, YouTube, and the normal places. We will have to do a different version to get rid of some of the outtakes and change a few small things.
    Cool. Looking forward to seeing it.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir

As always, good stuff! Keep up the fine work advocating for our public lands!
    To what avail are forty freedoms without a blank spot on the map?

14. Default

A few Hunt Talkers who have experience in this video gig have seen the full version. Haven't got all their critiques yet, so I am worried they are trying to figure out how to not hurt my feelings with their comments.

For those of you who are in Boise you get to see the BHA version that has some outtakes of the BHA employee, Ty "Three Arrow" Stubblefield. Hopefully those outtakes don't get him fired.
    Ty always struck me as a buncher not a folder. I bet he'll be able to ride the storm of controversy that follows the outtakes. Hopefully, you don't get any threats of libel lawsuits from the makers of Butt Out. I wish I was there to see it in person on Fri.

Can't wait to see the full video!!
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."

-Theodore Roosevelt

Can’t wait to see the whole film.
    Fear the beard....

It's very well done. I love the concept and content. Sorry I was of minimal to no help for the editing part......I'll stick to mowing grass.
    Walmart Athlete and Ambassador
    Costco Prostaff
    Equipment by Harbor Freight

But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career

Looks awesome! Agree that the music is gold.
    “It is well to go all out sometimes.” - Elers Koch

I'll raise my glass and shout Skol from the Clearwater country. Gobblers await me/us. Have fun in our city.

20. Default

Looks great Randy! Do you have an ETA when it will be uploaded to Amazon and YouTube?

Quote Originally Posted by SDS14 View Post
    Looks great Randy! Do you have an ETA when it will be uploaded to Amazon and YouTube?
    Amazon in the next couple weeks and YouTube a few weeks after that.

22. Default

Turned out great! The mood of the film was fantastic, and the music really took it up a couple notches. Even my wife, who usually will turn away from watching a animal getting broken down to be packed out, was transfixed. Congrats to your team for putting it together. Well done.

23. Default

Perfect blend of music and topic!

For those of us who couldn't make the Rondezvous - the full video has been posted -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7wE0J-16jk More great work by Randy and company!
    "Freedom is NOT Free"