String Life

Dave2643

I'm pretty new to archery hunting and don't read a lot about bow technology. Wondering how long you can expect a string to last. My target accuracy has gone down hill and a friend said my string may have stretched making my anchor change. Thanks for any advice.

Depends how much you shoot and string quality. If your string/cables and serving is still in good condition and just stretched it is possible it could be twisted back into spec and go awhile longer. It could also be a good excuse to get a new string and have the old one for a back up.

Like others have said, it depends on the quality of the string as well as how much you shoot. I shoot about 600 arrows a week year round (hoyt defiant) and i got about a year out of my first factory set. At that point, the servings started to separate making quite a bit of variability in my shots...especially at longer distances. Check to make sure your servings are all good (especially where the string comes off the cam...it is common to get separation in this area with lower quality strings). I have been shooting a first lite string for over a year now and there is no sign of wear or tear. Its always important to wax your string as well. Every couple of weeks or if the string starts to feel "dry". For the cost, new strings and cables do make a very big difference in repetition and accuracy. You will see your groups get way better instantly.

Good tips, thanks. I will get it changed and keep it for a spare. It is 3 years old and looks to be ok but I have noticed inconsistencies in my groups. I keep it waxed but how do you wax the areas in contact with the cams where it seems it might need it the most?

Just remember fibers break down regardless of how much you shoot it and serving is for protection and holds the string/cables together.

Last edited:
First off you should always monitor and wax you string. This will help to prolong its life. Several companies suggest replacing your string around 5,000-6,000 shots. Even if the string does not look damaged, doesn't mean it hasn't stretched.

Back