Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

California

brnsvllyjohn

I received my California booklet in the mail today and I have already had 2 phone calls about the plans for this year. I think we are going to just get a point only for the premium zones and then hunt the over the counter D zones. We are saving our points for a year so my grandson can hunt a premium zone on his first year. If I don't hunt a premium zone in California I will be in Idaho in October.

its really tough to draw a premium tag in California,and even tougher to draw group tags for premium zones. I would suggest applying and taking your grandson along for the hunt if you have enough points to draw or put him in for one of the junior hunts and tag along with him

Can't win if you don't play. In CA I've drawn Antelope, Tule Elk Bull, G6, M3, A26.

Attachments

• IMG_0471.jpg
    IMG_0471.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 176
Brnsjohn, Nice to know that you will hunt bucks this year, premium zone or D zone. Good Luck!

I've got 6 ppoints for deer, seriously wanting to draw a muley hunt this year, be done with the points game for deer, and draw deer every year there after. Set up a nice deer camp near fishing, friends invited right close by here in my local C zone. That i can do and be happy. There are those like glasseye above, who has drawn more or better hunts, Congrats on that Monster cali Bull, yet i and many others have drawn some darn nice hunts as well playing the points game.

With my 6 points, believe i can draw X-1, X-3b, X-4, X-6a and X-6b for sure. Not sure about X-7 which i know little or X-3a which i've twice hunted Antelope in and 3 times for deer. Being that i really want to burn those 6 points this year, not sure if i want to only have a chance of drawing out instead of using them for sure drawing in a area that takes fewer points and that i don't know as well? X-5a i know the best but, i don't yet think it is in reach.

Comments or ideas welcome because i don't know yet what i'm going to do.

7 Points for lopes, max points on sheep, max on Elk. Lord help me if i draw one of those. lol

For me, it's health reasons i'm closing down the big adventures. I've had my share of long, far, and hard hunts, put in my time and efforts making ready of the rough miles. Now i just want to sit, listen, and glass not too far away from my rig, only thinking of shooting something if it looks to be a down hill drag...unless it's really big and i'll figure out something.lol

Good luck in your draws this year!

Last edited:
I am not patient enough to build a lot of points for zones like X2. I tend to hunt zones that require less than 5 points but that allows me to hunt more often and learn a zone better. Our current decision to save points until my grandson can hunt with us is still being discussed. We have enough points now to go on a decent X zone hunt but if we wait we will have enough points to include him in 2 years. My wife has 9 points and she said one more hunt for her and doing that hunt with the grandson just makes sense. She will be 68 at that time. We did get lucky and 2 buddies and I each got our bucks in a D zone last year and of course I can always hunt the D zones on years I don't get an X tag. I have never drawn a C tag as my second choice and I know a lot of hunters who have. I always get a D tag and it is my third choice.

Remember that you can build points while hunting every year. It took me 13 yrs of applying for G6 to draw, but I’d be hunting D8 every year for both Archery and Rifle and praying for snow to get them moving and in the meantime getting good at cooking tags come Halloween

I hunt deer A Zone every year and build points for the rest. Who knows if I will ever draw them. I save the premium hunts for out of state. Enough turkey and piggy hunting to keep me busy while scouting deer locally and then go out of state each fall if I have the time. Hell of a bull glasseye. is that La Panza?

I have max points for elk, 7 or 8 for deer and 8 for sheep. I may put in for an X zone this year. Not sure though.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back