Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

gun cleaning setup

Beaneater

I want to get a better set up for cleaning my firearms ( 50 cal muzzleloader, 30 cal & 20 gauge). Cleaning rod and buy components or kit? Do I need a bore guide? Cleaners which brands. Do I need a copper remover? Thanks for you replies.

I'm a big proponent of the cable cleaners. Rods that break down can scratch up and scare you bore. That's all I have, so ill give you a bump

For a good clean at the work bench - Dewey coated rods, non-brass jags, Parker Hale jags, nylon brushes, brass brushes, hopps#9, break-free CLP, wipe-out bore cleaner, good quality patches, bore guide.

For a quick clean in the field - bore snakes and break-free CLP.

Never, ever - cheap screw together segmented rods that come with the cheap cleaning sets

Gunwerks has some good rifle cleaning videos.

For a good clean at the work bench - Dewey coated rods, non-brass jags, Parker Hale jags, nylon brushes, brass brushes, hopps#9, break-free CLP, wipe-out bore cleaner, good quality patches, bore guide.

Never, ever - cheap screw together segmented rods that come with the cheap cleaning sets

Good advice. Cept for the boresnake. mtmuley

I too am a fan of cable cleaning rods. For my muzzleloader, I have a brass cleaning rod. I currently use Hoppe's #9 and Frog Lube for all my cleaning. Works well on powder residue as well as removing any copper. I am not a real fan of the boresnake. What I use it for is to "dry" the bore before going hunting. I do not use it for cleaning. I used to use it for cleaning, but, accuracy started falling off so I went back to "old way".

I use to do a lot of trap shooting. If you do a lot of shooting with your shotgun, cleaning can be interesting. There can be buildup of plastic from the shot cups in the bore. I would occasionally take some copper scouring pads, wrap it around a wood dowel and scrub the shotgun bore to see if there was any plastic in it.

This is good advice. Personally, I prefer Shooter's Choice to Hoppes (smells worse, works better). I use Barnes CR 10 for copper cleaning as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back