28 nosler 195 berger

View attachment 81790 is this bullet failure ??
Not in my mind. Your description of what the bullet did lines up quite well with other reports I have read on the bullet and from the manufacturer.

Plus, sometimes weird stuff just happens. An example, I've caught more 210gr Partitions from a 338 Win Mag in pronghorns than I have 139gr Scenars out of a 260 Rem, with the latter having a larger sample size.

I have yet to have a "failure" with a Berger. Fingers crossed. One quick internet search of "____bullet failure" (insert any brand) and you'll find complaints. There's always going to be those few that seem to make folks blanket the entire cross section. I don't fault those who've had bad experiences though either. We all have to make a choice at some time.

"Bullet failure" discussions are funny to me. I've shot Bergers since 2007, and killed a pile of critters from Elk, deer, bears, mountain goats, antelope, coyotes, etc.. I've never had a "failure". But I would anticipate I will someday. I have had great success with them, and love the performance on anything from close range to very, very long range. Like Bart said, I don't doubt people have had bad experiences with them.

It's funny, when the new ELD-X came out with all the hype. Everyone jumped on that band wagon, just like they did Berger back in the 2005'ish timeframe. The ELD was supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Google "ELD-X failures" I would venture to guess that the first couple threads that pop up will have bad experiences, and people cussing the bullet.

Carry on...

No harley axis is very good get all the blood out and theres no game taste cant cook it long tho cause being in lanai are deer have zero fat so u can dry it out real quick

Im use to shooting nosler bullets so i guess im just not use to the way bergers kill im more use to quicker deaths

Drake which bullet do u shoot elk with and how do they perform i usually hunt with a 340 weatherby for elk with 250 grain sierra gamekings which always kill me 2 holes and quick deaths but might try my 28 nosler on elk with 195 bergers one day

I don't shoot Berger's, never even will try them. Everything I read about them under say 200yds, they are going to explode. I suspect the largest majority of game animals killed in this country are shot at 200yds or less, much less. Can't figure out why, people fall for the claim they are not match bullet's but rather hunting bullet's. I think Walt Berger is a super salesman!

42EBC63A-F59C-4491-B5EC-7495CBCDC4BD.jpg

180 Berger less than 200yds on a mule deer. The only failure here was the deers ability to live. The insides were mush and yes it did look like something blew up. I’ve shot 2 cow elk with the same results at 180yds. My gun also likes Barnes and I’ve had guys tell me to avoid those because they just pencil through. If you’ve had a bad experience with a bullet then I understand but it’s hard to argue with those of us who’ve had success. To each his own.

Drake which bullet do u shoot elk with and how do they perform i usually hunt with a 340 weatherby for elk with 250 grain sierra gamekings which always kill me 2 holes and quick deaths but might try my 28 nosler on elk with 195 bergers one day

I've been shooting the 168gr through a 280AI.
This summer I will also be shooting the 195gr through a new build.

They perform great. They kill animals. I've shot 2 bull elk under 50 yards...they both died. One of them was on the west slope of the Bridgers even. I've shot a pile of animals under 200 yards. Quite a few under 100 yards. Everything died and died fast. I shot a coyote at 1,010 yards...he died too. I even got $40 for the hide.

Dias
Check the hollow point. Use a small drill bit to clean them out. Sometimes cleaning media gets in there and plugs it.
I've had nothing but great results with bergers.

I got a 300 rum with a 30 inch bartlein barrel im shooting the 215 grain hybrids in that going 3200 fps gonna hunt with it in july should i expect same results ??

I'm using the 140gr. Berger VLD Hunting out of my 7mm-08AI. Shot large white tail doe at 413 yards. Perfect hit.
Bullet sized entry hole. No exit hole.
When processing her in the field i was amazed she ran the 20 yards that she did. Heart in 2 pieces, and mush, both lungs totally destroyed.
Found bullet jacket under off side hide.

I'm kinda surprised that more people don't use the Accubond Long Range. I'm planning on using the 150gr. ABLR out of my 284 Win. G1 BC is 0.613 and is supposed to expand down to 1, 300 fps.

I don't shoot Berger's, never even will try them. Everything I read about them under say 200yds, they are going to explode. I suspect the largest majority of game animals killed in this country are shot at 200yds or less, much less. Can't figure out why, people fall for the claim they are not match bullet's but rather hunting bullet's. I think Walt Berger is a super salesman!

All this from a guy who's never used a berger! They are hunting bullets! They work fantastic and I've personally had plenty of pass through shots with them.
A lot of berger failures are due to using the wrong weight bullet or to much velocity. I see a lot of people for example shooting the 168-185gr in a 300RUM. Way to much velocity for the bullet. Take advantage of the capacity and shoot the 215-230gr berger.

All this from a guy who's never used a berger! They are hunting bullets! They work fantastic and I've personally had plenty of pass through shots with them.
A lot of berger failures are due to using the wrong weight bullet or to much velocity. I see a lot of people for example shooting the 168-185gr in a 300RUM. Way to much velocity for the bullet. Take advantage of the capacity and shoot the 215-230gr berger.

Solid advice. Way too much good press to discount them. I've used them but don't care for them. I just like a stouter bullet. mtmuley

I think a lot depends on the caliber with the berger! I know for a fact the 95-105gr in the 243/6mm is an Amazing combo!
Also keep your shots in the vitals and they are obliterated with the VLD.

I think a lot depends on the caliber with the berger! I know for a fact the 95-105gr in the 243/6mm is an Amazing combo!
Also keep your shots in the vitals and they are obliterated with the VLD.

I can vouch for the 95 grain VLD in .243. Nasty. mtmuley

Back