Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Do deer eat their sheds?

I've also read about deer eating winter killed fish. I seem to remember it was in Minnesota or Michigan.

Perhaps a lack of food and minerals will drive a deer to chew dropped antlers. I don't know. However, sometimes a deer or many deer in a given area will chew just to chew. I have replaced hundreds of sections of plastic 5/16" tubing in the maple sugar woods, that have been chewed and ruined by deer.

Interesting. I always assumed it was rodents and coyotes. How would you tell if it was a deer or elk instead?

There is not much out there for nutrients right now until those first green shoots start emerging. Does are growing a fawn and bucks are starting to regrow their antlers, both take a lot calcium and other nutrients in a time when the pickings are slim. Chewing on antlers may be the difference in survival.

Perhaps a lack of food and minerals will drive a deer to chew dropped antlers. I don't know. However, sometimes a deer or many deer in a given area will chew just to chew. I have replaced hundreds of sections of plastic 5/16" tubing in the maple sugar woods, that have been chewed and ruined by deer.

I've seen elk do the same thing to plastic sheathing on wiring for sporting clays machines. All summer long and into fall. Frustrating, yet amusing. :)

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back