Montana Wild Sheep Capture and Disease Test video

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to fit more volunteer days into our filming this year to show people what conservation volunteer activities are out there. This was a last minute opportunity when FWP realized the weather and chopper availability was going to line up the next morning. Wild Sheep Foundation called that night and asked if we could be there and capture some footage. Marcus and I jumped in the truck and met the experts at Durham Meadows near Big Sky, MT to film and do what little this untrained accountant could do that might help with in an operation such as this.

Thanks a ton to Travis for giving us some of his "Mugger" head cam footage. He needs his own YouTube channel to air the cool chopper footage he captures.

This kind of stuff is what gets me excited. It is where we see our license and excise tax dollars being used for hands on conservation. This was funded by license dollars, Pittman-Robertson funds, and money from the one bighorn auction tag Montana issues each year. As I call it, Conservation In Action.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing Randy. Good Lord willing, I hope to draw a tag to hunt one of those sheep before I die. I look at the opposite side of those mountains everyday from home.

Very neat video, it’s cool to see what’s getting done for conservation and how some of that money gets used!

I’ve talked to Julie quite a bit when planning my trip out there last year. She is a very nice person and very knowledgeable on her area’s wildlife. Tough too, she told me I would need my man card if I wanted to hike up a drainage there at Quake lake. She had done it and said it would be tough.

All I can say is she was tougher than me. I quit from the parking lot as I stared up. Good stuff Big Fin thanks for sharing.

Cool video, and well done on the conservation message. Some folks in the intended audience for this video might not understand what Pittman-Roberts dollars mean (Spoken by Julie, the project director). Perhaps some clarification on that point might help demonstrate hunters/anglers support for conservation.

I suppose that the released sheep have their backs painted to prevent them from being netted and processed twice?

Very cool video! I can only believe that with WSF moving to Bozeman, bighorn research that is taking place at MSU, and good work by FWP people like Julie, positive things are on the horizon for bighorn sheep.

Always good to see videos of some of the things biologist do.... A lot of people don't get to see or understand the expertise that these individuals have.

Thanks a ton to Travis for giving us some of his "Mugger" head cam footage. He needs his own YouTube channel to air the cool chopper footage he captures.

^^^^^^
This is the understatement of the day. Cool video. Thanks for sharing

That was a cold day up there! I am glad that Marcus was able to use some of the footage I gave him. He did a great job putting that together. I always enjoy working with the research biologists in Montana. They are good people, know their stuff, and care about what they are doing.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back