Recommendations for durable luggage

jnagel32

I travel a bit for work and I’m tired of the airlines destroying my luggage. I have to buy new stuff every 3 trips or so. Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on durable hard sided luggage? I figured there has to be some people on here that travel quite frequently. I was looking into Tumi, but the $700 price tag is hard to swallow and thought there might be a better option out there I haven’t heard of.

Not sure what airline you are flying, but my wife and I both travel domestically and internationally dozens of times a year and have run of the mill Target and Costco bought "Swiss army" and Samsonite luggage that has lasted over 10 years. I would never spend more than $199 for a suitcase unless I was packing specialty gear (video equip, etc).

I fly various airlines according to whatever the cheapest government rate is. But I’ve had more than one airline destroy my luggage. I had a Samsonite soft bag and it was torn and the front compartment zipper was broken off after its first use. Do you buy hard or soft sided luggage?

Not sure what airline you are flying, but my wife and I both travel domestically and internationally dozens of times a year and have run of the mill Target and Costco bought "Swiss army" and Samsonite luggage that has lasted over 10 years. I would never spend more than $199 for a suitcase unless I was packing specialty gear (video equip, etc).

We bought a Samsonite hard side from Sam's club about 10 years ago for around $150 and its survived a number of trips both domestic and international.

I fly various airlines according to whatever the cheapest government rate is. But I’ve had more than one airline destroy my luggage. I had a Samsonite soft bag and it was torn and the front compartment zipper was broken off after its first use. Do you buy hard or soft sided luggage?

Target bought "Swiss" luggage was heavy black cloth, the Costco bought Samsonite was plastic shell.

Also, FWIW, all the cheap luggage is wearing better than 2 expensive Tumi breafcases I have.

I bought the best rifle case LL Bean sells a few years ago. My wife and I flew to New Mexico for a DIY late season cow hunt. When the case came off the plane when we got home, it looked like someone had taken a sledge hammer to the case. There were gaping holes pounded through the case !! Miraculously, the rifles were OK. The airline, after several months, paid us for the ruined case.

I was given a hard case(fitting) by my bro 30 yrs ago, probably a wally.Damn thing is indestructable.

I travel quite often and find luggage is essentially a disposable item. Especially luggage that is checked.

I typically don't check bags any more as between my backpack and a carry-on duffle I am good for 4 days most of the time (unless I have to bring a bunch of materials/samples/etc.). When it comes to my carryon, I only use a duffle these days as the ability to squish and conform it into spaces in the overhead makes my life much easier, especially when flying older regional jets where traditional rollerboards don't fit real well. I'm currently using an LL Bean duffle that my wife got me and i really like it. It's got a good exterior pocket for misc stuff and a good shoulder strap.

The problem with luggage typically isn't with the "bag" itself, but with wheels and handles. Yes, they make rolling your stuff through the airport so much easier, but most are just not build to last. And being mid trip with a heavy bag where suddenly a wheel breaks off, now that is a pain in the rear.

Business travel and western hunting certainly have some similarities. Good lightweight gear and minimizing the amount of stuff you bring is very important. The flexibility of having everything you need on your back opens lots of opportunities. If you've ever gotten stuck with delays/issues in an airport, having checked bags is like having an anchor tied to you as it limits the amount of standby options you have.

Also, always, ALWAYS keep your toothbrush, a pair of underwear/socks, and your car keys in a carryon. No matter what.

I travel a bit for work and I’m tired of the airlines destroying my luggage. I have to buy new stuff every 3 trips or so. Was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on durable hard sided luggage? I figured there has to be some people on here that travel quite frequently. I was looking into Tumi, but the $700 price tag is hard to swallow and thought there might be a better option out there I haven’t heard of.

I travel extensively. Mostly international (200 days a year) to some austere places. I often have to check bags as I bounce around in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America or Asia. I have destroyed bags but finally found what works. Each bag is nearing 1,000,000 miles and countless trips including to really remote places where airline standards are a bit less concerned with customer experience than in the US or Europe. I use; Travelpro hardside carryon spinner, Briggs and Riley 24 inch hard side spinner, Travelrpo 29 inch hard side spinner and the LLBean wheeled duffel bag. Before I settled on this combination, I blew through most major brands including bags costing stupid money.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back