Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Lens Shades Pros/Cons

tvanbeb2

Just picked up a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x44mm scope for a Browning chambered in 28 Nosler. I was reading around on the internet and saw some pros and cons to a lens shade/sun shade. Does anyone here hunt with one or has hunted with one in the past? What are your thoughts? Better to have one and not need it then need one and not have it? I have never used one but have heard and seen more people putting them on their rifles.

Thanks for the help,

Teddy

I rarely use the sun shade on my scopes, about the only time I do is if shooting a match in rainy weather in hopes of cutting down on the water spots that get on the lens. Hunting in rainy weather I'll rely on scope caps like Vortex Defenders or a scope coat, etc.

I have had a couple of situations where the glare on the lens would not allow me to take a shot. Where I hunt, there is more of a problem with dust and rain so I opt for scope caps over a sun shade.

I have mine on my Vortex. negligible weight added, keeps glare down, been useful. I still use scope caps.

I use one most the time, on my 22/250and 6mm rem.
Nice to have most the time.
I use covers also but dust is a problem it's 4" to the lens if you have to clean it...
Even when the sun is not a problem it seams to make the sight picture a little more crisp.
BUT!
It does seam to cut some of the light transmission, makes things a bit darker.
Night or very low light times you will notice a difference.
I have Redfield scopes and Leopold scope shades screw right on.

I have one that fits on my Vortex Crossfire II 6-18X44, and one for my Sightron STAC 4-20X50.
Only time i use them is at the range when glare gets to be a problem.
Hadn't thought about them keeping rain off of the objective lens.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back