Weight.

I think it is perfect for a carry rifle that can stretch it. Bored on Sunday I did some surfing. Noticed that light weight was a concern for a large percentage of hunters. BUT, they also want to shoot "long range". Thought it interesting. The weight of my daypack is a bigger concern. mtmuley

IMO, it's not a concern until you've carried a light 'interesting' rifle. FWIW, 8.5 dressed is light to me. The Montana HT I dallied with for a spell was too light too keep still.

Not sure of threshold, but I just weighed my hunting rig the other day. 9 lbs loaded with sling and scope for 7mm rem mag. 10lbs if I throw the bipod on. I dislike recoil so I wouldn't want it any lighter. That said, I would like something lighter that kicks less.

260 Rem or 7mm-08!

All I know is the older I get the less I want to haul my 300WM all over the mountains. I've never weighed a rifle, at least not in any precise manner, but I can certainly tell you my T3X makes my shoulder much less angry at the end of a hunt.

I use to love a light rifle. After getting a Kifaru gunbearer I don’t really worry about the weight to much. I’d say under 10lbs I’m good with

Interesting. I never weighed my rifle and never thought much about. I use a system similar to the Kifaru gunbearer. A couple of months ago a friend showed me a rifle he won and I was amazed how light it was. He picked up my rifle and commented how heavy it was. Ignorance is bliss, everything was fine until I found out light the rifles are now.

I like my long range rifles in the 8.5lb to 9.5lb. 10lb max. I feel I can carry this comfortably on the mountains. In the same respect I have a few in th 6.5lb range that I carry when I feel shots will be under 300yds. I feel the heavier guns are more shootable not anymore accurate. Note my typical shots seem to be under 300 no matter what rifle I have. Lol

I think it depends. On mountain/backpack hunts, a 7lb rig is very attractive. Afterall, your rifle is little more than dead weight until the moment of truth, if it comes. That said, my usual go-to rig is a bit over 8 lbs. I'm good with that.

Let me tell you about the weight of my current build..

Bell and Carson stock 2.25lbs
+
Savage 110 action 2-3 lbs
+
26” shilen magnum contour super match barrel 1-8 twist chambered in 28 nosler 3.5 lbs
+
Leopold vx3i 8.5x20x50 1.37 lbs
+
Warne mountain tech rings and bases (Who knows)
=
Who cares it will launch a 195 gr icbm at over 3grand

Last edited:
Let me tell you how I calculated the weight of my current build..

Bell and Carson stock 2.25lbs
+
Savage 110 action 2-3 lbs
+
26” shilen magnum contour super match barrel 1-8 twist chambered in 28 nosler 3.5 lbs
+
Leopold vx3i 8.5x20x50 1.37 lbs
+
Warne mountain tech rings and bases (I quit caring at this point so I don’t know what they weigh)
=
Who cares it will launch a 195 gr icbm at over 3grand
Pretty much sums up how I look at it. Cept I like a .30 myself. Have a box of 199 grain lathe turned monos coming for the RUM. 3200 plus and a copper solid may pry me away from Accubonds. mtmuley

Nope.
The lighter the better for me.
When your putting miles on, ounces equal pounds.
Add mountainous terrain, high altitude.
That 8 pound plus rifle is gonna feel like 50.

The Mauser i just built in 284 Win tips the scales at almost 10lbs. Minus ammo.
Way heavier than i was anticipating. Especially for a hunting rifle.
Thinking of putting a different stock on it and shooting F Class with it.

Last edited:
Lighter than my M1, although I have been know to chase whitetails with it (but not very far).

My .375 H&H is okay at a bit over nine with scope, but definitely not a mountain rifle.

I have a 7MM Mag. that weighs eight pounds and change; and is my default elk rifle.

If I had money I'd carry a Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor. I can't see spending a bunch of money for a lightweight rifle and getting something "sorta light". If I'm going to spend money on it, it had better come in well under seven pounds, scoped.

There is, of course, such a thing as "too light". Years ago I had a Ruger #3 in .45-70. It weighed maybe five pounds, had a slick aluminum buttplate, and the same square comb as an old 10-22. Ouch.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back